Random Bee Inspector Sample

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I had a letter from my local BI saying that I had been selected "at random" for a sampling test.

I phoned him and expressed the view that I was already tested and why me again?

He explained that I was "generated at random by the computer" so fair enough thinks I.

Have you moved your bees says he? Yep says I there are no bees there, ah well I will have to find another site then says he.

BUT he didn't ask where my bees currently are............ how odd.

PH

lol, maybe he thought you didn't have them any more :)

Curious. Perhaps he is worrying about something that he is not free to disclose? I realised when I was asking our local RBI about what areas have what diseases. He was a little vague... I guess it is confidential and commercially sensitive information who has EFB or other unpleasant diseases.

Curious. Perhaps he is worrying about something that he is not free to disclose? I realised when I was asking our local RBI about what areas have what diseases. He was a little vague... I guess it is confidential and commercially sensitive information who has EFB or other unpleasant diseases.

poaaible has a quality assurance check list to complete a 100 inspection from a list and as there bees , all he has is click a box, no show no bees, and he has complete the inspection...so has 99 out of the 100 left to inspect

More like it MM.

Yet he was very interested when I told him about a new location where there are bees?

PH

We have had EFB in the area so there are lots of checks going on - just will make sure their bee hygiene is 100% if they come to me!

The RBI said he wants to fix a time to look at my other apiary, even though the first apiary he looked at was clear of problems. I quite like the RBI visits. I find them reassuring. Don't you like the inspectors' visits PH?

PS: There are rumours about EFB around here too.

It's part of RAS (Random Apiray Survey) - a statistical analysis of virus and diease patterns across the UK being conducted over 2 years last year and this year.
There are details on Beebase.
I only know about this because the society apiary was closed today due to an "open day" at the animal rescue where it's located; so we adjourned to one of our members apiary. He'd been slated for inspection both because he's within 3 miles of an EFB outbreak and because of RAS.
The Bee inspector doing the inspection just happens to be a society member, who also is on the rota for managing the society apiary so we get to see him and talk to him a lot.
He's often a really useful source of information.

I had a letter from my local BI saying that I had been selected "at random" for a sampling test.

I phoned him and expressed the view that I was already tested and why me again?

He explained that I was "generated at random by the computer" so fair enough thinks I.

Have you moved your bees says he? Yep says I there are no bees there, ah well I will have to find another site then says he.

BUT he didn't ask where my bees currently are............ how odd.

PH

I had the same thing happen. bees had been moved so not there to inspect. I was told by the BI that they just select another random apiary to inspect rather than to inspect where the bees had been moved to.

As far as individually identifying a particular apiary then they can't, but all positives for AFB and EFB are clear for anyone to see on the beebase site which identifies outbreaks to a 10km grid square

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/BeeDiseases/colonyReport.cfm

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/BeeDiseases/afbReport.cfm

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/BeeDiseases/efbReport.cfm

Latest posts

Back