Raising your honey extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 4 frame Paynes electric radial and I have done exactly that: raise the bottom and upper holding rails to make more honey space at the bottom.
And have casters on the wheels...

Anything for an easy life. And it's cheap!

Hi
I was an Occupational Therapist and used elephant feet to raise my patients chairs. They would not be the best thing to use for an extractor, especially when you are spinning the frames. Chairs fitted with elephant feet raisers should be positioned against a wall to prevent tipping when a person sits down heavily. There is a risk that the movement of the extractor could tip it off the raisers.
Is there a ‘Men / Women Shed’ near to you? They may be able to make you a support frame. Their members are local people who get together for company and do diy projects, big and small.
Thanks for this. Yes I worried that they just wouldn't be strong enough. I need to find a DIY person I think.

Hi, I need to find a way to raise my honey extractor a bit. It's a 4 frame tangential one. At first I used it without legs on my kitchen table on top of a blanket but last year I used it on the legs but it was not quite high enough to fit over my buckets so I propped it up on books which was a bit of a disaster but needs must at the time. Anyway I am obviously looking for a better way for this year. I've seen lots of pictures of frames that have been made some on wheels. But someone suggested chair raisers, or elephants feet I think they are often called. Has anyone used these or do you have a simple solution? Before you ask - no I cannot make something - useless at DIY!
We use a small table from a nest of tables, The right height to use the extractor on and just right for the honey bucket and sieves to go under the tap. Picked one up for a fiver from a charity shop

We use a small table from a nest of tables, The right height to use the extractor on and just right for the honey bucket and sieves to go under the tap. Picked one up for a fiver from a charity shop
It's great when you find the right thing isn't it. I remember scouring the house to find something to put the bucket on when I jar the honey. In the end I found a desk my son had with his cabin bed which was just the right height lower than my kitchen work tops so the bucket goes on the kitchen worktop and the jars on something lower. Perfect solution.

I use an old ikea table with castors (think it was classed as a coffee table originally but we used a pair as bedside tables at our old house and they moved with us - closest thing I can see now is Tingby). As others have said the castors allow the whole unit to vibrate instead of shake (if that makes sense). I've got a 9 frame radial with the motor on top so have to be a bit careful when tilting to empty it as it's top heavy but I;ve a wedge shaped piece of wood I can use to prop up the far side from the tap.

I screw mine onto a pallet which gives good stability plus it allows me to fit a 30lb bucket under the valve so I can extract and empty at the same time.
I do the same, a cut-down pallet, and have rubber pads (bicycle inner tube stapled on 4" of 1" square, screwed) to the concrete floor. I have it set at a permanant angle because there is no space under the frames for honey to pool and it has to be run off continuously. That part isn't ideal, but the pads work well.

I use an old cutting block on castors bought in the 70,s from habitat. Removed the chopping block and the extractor fits perfectly!
Us beekeepers are an ingenious lot!

Oh dear. I need to get organised. Have been using the old book method since I got the extractor!!
Luckily?? I don't get much honey.

Back