Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
Well not quite dying yet I hope but I had to admit today for the first time that I couldn't see any eggs. Not because there weren't any because there were stacks but because my eyesight has reached the point where I need to wear glasses to see small things close up.
I will have to wear my reading glasses for beeking. Does this present any problems or should I just shut up, stop whining and put up with the inevitable slow decline.....?
Cazza

Only problem is remebering to put them on before zipping up the veil and arriving at the hive. I guess its to do with failing memory as well as sight.

I use my cross-stitch magnifier that can hang around my neck - helps a bit, on a good day, with the sun behind me...

:iagree:I put my kit on a few yards away from my hive along with my reading glasses (when I remember them! I often have to go back to my car for them:auto:) and then stumble along with blurry vision until I recognise my hive from the outline. If I look over my glasses to get to the hive they drop off and ALWAYS make their way down my smock into the waistband of my trousers, I'm sure if they were baggier they would slip into my wellies never to be seen again but my 'thickened' waist stops most things from going south.
Then of course there's the problem of steamed up glasses after a hectic time wrenching supers and crown boards and Q excluders off. Occasionally I will smoke myself, and my eyes will run making the glasses slip down. My last pair of glasses had the habit of losing a lens just at awkward moments and I would momentarily panic that I had gone blind in one eye.
Still, must'nt grumble.:D

You could always get a 'granny sting' to hold them...sorry, I just don't know the proper name for them...

Anyone thought of utilising a fresnel screen magnifier? Not sure they would help more than a normal magnifying glass, but just a thought......

Regards, RAB

A Fresnel lens must be quite a feat to keep clean in a honey, propolis and wax rich environment.

The Fresnel lens was originally invented by a Frenchman of the name for use in lighthouses. As can be seen from the diagram, they permit a thinner, lighter, cheaper lens to be produced.

Imagine having wiped the ridged surface with a sticky glove loaded with propolis though; it would surely be the devil to clean. :willy_nilly:

I use my cross-stitch magnifier that can hang around my neck - helps a bit, on a good day, with the sun behind me...

I agree. Which makes me wonder if I might not be better off with a headtorch. I'll let you know if it helps.

s or should I just shut up, stop whining and put up with the inevitable slow decline.....?
Cazza

Unfortunately yes! Join the club.;) I aquired a magnifiying glass!;)
Regards
TBRNoTB

It's not just the eyesight though is it? Having located the beehives there is that long walk from the car with the dodgy hips and knees. And why is is that the moment the bee suit goes on, it's time for yet another wee (that must be the tenth this morning...)? Next comes the ritual lighting-of-the-smoker-and-nasal-hair. Lifting a super ellicits the sort of creaking, cracking and popping that would impress that Phil Collins, as all the vertebrae complain in unison. And then there's the pollen, and the sneezing (oops, did I forget about the weak bladder? Suit was due a wash anyway).

At least the bee stings are good for the arthritis and if all else fails, there's always tomorrow's trip to complete what was forgotten yesterday.

I wear specs -just for reading- but went to Tesco and bought a much stronger pair - just for bee keeping. Not quite Mr Magoo - but it works.

I wear specs -just for reading- but went to Tesco and bought a much stronger pair - just for bee keeping. Not quite Mr Magoo - but it works.

I think this may be my solution, then it won't matter when I stand on them!
C

Back