Radio two and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just heard Martin Smith, President of BBKA on Radio 2 drivetime ( prime spot). Asked on why bees are declining it was all about habitat loss. Not a word about pesticides. Then a load of guff about what makes different honeys taste different and how to adopt a hive and how he became a beekeeper 25 years ago. Very disappointing.:banghead:

Thing is ......bee's are not declining in the uk.

Arguably, one of the causes of habitat loss is pesticide use. Crops that are pushed full throttle for high production will be lacking floral biodiversity; crops where high yield is not the principal aim may offer more floral biodiversity.
I'd support him in making evidence-backed statements and I think habitat loss = less bees (bumbles?) is well proven, whereas laying the blame solely on pesticides may be an attractive proposition for many, it needs to be backed up with evidence.

(TROLL ALERT - I wonder how many of the beekeepers rushing off to Tesco/Bookers/wherever for their cheap sugar stop to think about the pesticide use on the sugar beet/cane that permits their production at such a low cost. I never see many weeds in a sugar beet crop:))

lol. Cant say I'm surprised they have avoided being open and honest with their members so why change for radio. Just paint a glossy picture of

hmm let me think of some thing.... oh I know the habitat (even though there isn't a problem with it)

to deflect attention away from the real problems gift wrapped with love from Bayer and Co and shameful cover up's at all levels.

:toetap05:
:rant:

taken over the last fifty years they are. I just thought it was a wasted opportunity to educate 7 million people a little.

In recent years there are thousands and thousands of new beekeepers.....i presume they are all putting bee's into there new hives....so where are all these bee's comming from if there in such a serious decline.

In recent years there are thousands and thousands of new beekeepers.....i presume they are all putting bee's into there new hives....so where are all these bee's comming from if there in such a serious decline.

Hivemaker. There are less beekeepers now in the UK than there were in 1945. Fact.

Hivemaker. There are less beekeepers now in the UK than there were in 1945. Fact.

But there are thousands more now than two years ago....so where are the bee's comming from if they are in decline......also in 1945 there was sugar rationing.....the number of beekeepers during the war years shot up....on paper they did....as beekeepers got an extra ration to feed the bee's.

I also heard it and I think this thread is focussing too much on one aspect of the 'top line' interview that occured. There was also a very good promotion of local honey for 'allergen resistance build up' (true or not) and some broader awareness and sympathetic planting for pollinators points in a broader sense.

Whether you agree with the benefit of local honey for allergens is almost accademic since Martin Smith didn't make any claims, he just let a very enthusiastic Lisa Tarbuck make claims on his behalf.

Crikey guys, what are you expecting from him? It was only a 3 minute slot that had to be delivered for a very wide audience, BBKA did well to get the slot and I don't think he did too badly at getting an informative and pretty broad spectrum of headlines across that would kindle / re-kindle wider awareness of our hobby.

I agree by and large but my only relevant point is - no mention of pesticides and lots about loss of habitat. Disingenuous at best IMO.

i think the advertising part was very good, because when i got home my honeybox was sold out.. :)

Lauri

I wonder how many of the beekeepers rushing off to Tesco/Bookers/wherever for their cheap sugar stop to think about the pesticide use on the sugar beet/cane that permits their production at such a low cost. I never see many weeds in a sugar beet crop)

So sugar cane is produced without insecticides?

Amazing!

Sugar cane suffers from a range of pests which are controlled chemically..

I wonder whether the interview contents are already vetted by the sponsor? I would likely expect that to be the case, if the sponsor had not already got the Association precisely where they might wish them to be, politically or otherwise

Regards, RAB

declining bees?

Less beekeepers than in past plus less "professional beekeeping" in UK.

its "easy" to breed queens and supply new colonies within a season. problem is keeping them going.

Remember - for every 3-4 new beekeepers with one hive this year there will be 1 disappointed come the spring (plus a significant proportion forced to give up by the missus).

Until the consumer values local traditionally produced products bees will go down the same route as proper bakers and butchers shops.

we don;t have a serious orchard industry in UK anymore so thats one less need for bees. most of everything else is poytunnelled so relies on imported bumblies that are killed after use.

Less beekeepers than in past plus less "professional beekeeping" in UK.

its "easy" to breed queens and supply new colonies within a season. problem is keeping them going.

Remember - for every 3-4 new beekeepers with one hive this year there will be 1 disappointed come the spring (plus a significant proportion forced to give up by the missus).

Until the consumer values local traditionally produced products bees will go down the same route as proper bakers and butchers shops.

we don;t have a serious orchard industry in UK anymore so thats one less need for bees. most of everything else is poytunnelled so relies on imported bumblies that are killed after use.

I didn't know about bumblies and polytunnels.

Thing is ......bee's are not declining in the uk.

I guess the BBC and Scottish universities don't agree with you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10362883

Googling honey bee decline uk also would appear to paint a fairly grim picture based upon the newspaper and tv reports that the search throws out however I think most of that is, like her, mainly just fodder to fill up the news. I have yet to actually meet anybody who has a lost a hive to CCD or as the UK appears to have named it Mary Celeste Syndrome. Loss of hive occupants in the hooby field here typically can be attributed over agressive thymol treatment causing the inhabitants to abscond. CCD losses do exist here but appear to have stabilized somewhat, mainly they have been in the travelling popultion and stress of moving and various pesticdes are the most likely factor.

I know down at my local association that the opinion seems to be that the honey bee population is going up. based on the number of new members that are coming through the doors , getting hives and keeping those hives. I am with HM with this one.

Back