R.O.B Manley 'Bee keeping in Britain'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyspikey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just found a second hand edition of his book on British beekeeping. I have only read the first 50 pages but what a breath of fresh air..... and it was written in 1948!!! it could be 2008, really.

I have a couple of copies of that book.

Its in most Beekepers top 3 beekeeping books.

You will not go wrong reading it.

Hi

I have read the book. It is good but know old. Our seasons are different. Try Oliver Field Honey By the Ton.

He worshiped Manley but quotes that things have now changed from then.

There are less meadows and wild flowers etc. Rape was not around then like it is know etc.

W

Frisbee,

I can see why having read another 50 pages. He may not mention Varroa or OSR but so what, there is so much good sense in there. I just love the old fashioned style of writing too, when people had the time to fashion a script and there were fewer 'Colonial' influences.

We have the advantage of having read Hooper and Sims as well as all the info. on this forum to bring us up to date. I am a firm believer in that old adage 'there is nothing new under the sun'. I would add an addendum, 'well nothing much'.

Actually those old books are dangerous because many things have changed. Bee stocks, swarming, breeding, colony size, bee biology, beliefs.

I read Finnish "Modern Beekeeping 1971" . It was full many kinds of "mechanic like systems"; box moving, swarm catching with different mechanics. Swarming tendency was huge when I started. Colony size was 1/3 compared to nowadays.

That explaines why old beliefs stay in beekeeping. :)

Bible yes , Bible is 2000 years old, about.

Last edited:
True Manley's book is old and somewhat dated.

However, he used Dadant hives and modern techniques (for that time) when managing his business.

I gather he never learnt to drive and Harry Wickens reared most of his queens.

I am also very fond of Manleys books,he had a wonderful way of writing.

Actually those old books are dangerous because many things have changed. Bee stocks, swarming, breeding, colony size, bee biology, beliefs.

I read Finnish "Modern Beekeeping 1971" . It was full many kinds of "mechanic like systems"; box moving, swarm catching with different mechanics. Swarming tendency was huge when I started. Colony size was 1/3 compared to nowadays.

It's a shame you haven't read it before you make such judgemental comments

I think Finman may of been feeling a little under the weather when he made that post :nature-smiley-12:

Here Here Frisbee, I was about to make the same comment. Read the book and then judge. I understand that there will be things which change , especially in 60 years, but many things don't. I particularly like the way he poses an issue and just says ' we don't know'. In the intervening period some of the 'don't knows' have been answered, some have not.

I have read a number of Manley's books. Obviously much has changed since they were written but there is also an awful lot which is still relevant today. My vans get serviced by Harry Wickens nephew. He's got some good anecdotes about bee keeping exploits by his uncle when he was a child

Should we ignore the bible because of its age?

Latest posts

Back