QX plus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I spotted that
For a start you don't use Apilife Var or Thymovar with supers in place so there won't be an excluder to remove anyway.
He has another interesting product.
Apis Plus which protects against neonicotinoids and is at a special price because it's out of date. :)

I've gone over to the dark side this year and am not using QX, could be an interesting year for me.

Last edited:
Why did you decide to do that?
Why not !!!

Decided to experiment more with my beekeeping a bit more along with using starter strips and freedom to make what ever cells they wish and trying to work with the bees more rather then constrain then with hurdles.. Also have a diy PIR long hive set up to use.

I've gone over to the dark side this year and am not using QX, could be an interesting year for me.
Nowt to do with beekeeping but I'm going over to the dark side in Archery, the compound bow I was gifted has been checked and sorted and is heading it's way back to me by parcel force as I type😎

I remember at school well over 40 years ago archery target practice, I quite enjoyed it but in those days we were never encouraged enough or offered any clubs to join.

Why not !!!

Decided to experiment more with my beekeeping a bit more along with using starter strips and freedom to make what ever cells they wish and trying to work with the bees more rather then constrain then with hurdles.. Also have a diy PIR long hive set up to use.
Don't get me wrong! I am not criticising you. I have never used a QX but if you think about it, the use of a conventional hive (eg National) requires the use of a QX. Otherwise, what is the point of using different sized boxes and frames? If you really want to go without a QX you should consider using a different hive setup and management system.

Don't get me wrong! I am not criticising you. I have never used a QX but if you think about it, the use of a conventional hive (eg National) requires the use of a QX. Otherwise, what is the point of using different sized boxes and frames? If you really want to go without a QX you should consider using a different hive setup and management system.
A national hive does not REQUIRE the use of a QX. No hive setup requires a QX.
In my view the only reason the BB is usually a deep and the Super is usually a shallow is due to the weight. It's not easily lifting a deep box full of honey, and therefore different size boxes are usually used just to make life easier help the beekeeper. Conversely, it's generally easier for the beekeeper to simply look through one box of frames when inspecting the brood, and the size of a deep is (or at least was before more productive strains came along) optimal for the size of the brood nest.
Of course none of this is set in stone, and the sizes of the boxes you use and whether or not you use a QX are of little relevance to the bees themselves.

Why not !!!

Good for you ... nothing to hate about turning the bees loose within the constraints of still being a beekeeper .. lack of queen excluders and being foundation free has served me well in my beekeeping without any substantial downsides and a Long hive is great for the bees ...

.... whether or not you use a QX are of little relevance to the bees themselves.
I disagree. At no point during the millions of years of evolution, has a bee colony had to deal with a QX. A QX stresses the colony, leading to more swarming and disease.

I disagree. At no point during the millions of years of evolution, has a bee colony had to deal with a QX. A QX stresses the colony, leading to more swarming and disease.

An interesting claim.

No doubt you have proof of it?

We haven't used QXs for a few years now, two of the hives are Nationals. We haven't come across any problems that would preclude Nationals in this regard. In fact, as drdrday has pointed out, shallow supers for honey and a deep box for brood make it an easy set up to manage.

For now I am using what I have, rightly or wrongly if anything I would be more inclined to use only National super size only if I made a choice between boxes.

Last edited:
We haven't used QXs for a few years now, two of the hives are Nationals. We haven't come across any problems that would preclude Nationals in this regard. In fact, as drdrday has pointed out, shallow supers for honey and a deep box for brood make it an easy set up to manage.
... but there is no logic to using two sizes of box if the queen has free rein to lay anywhere. You end up with a logistics problem when extracting and/or if you want to manipulate frames/boxes. The conventional hive needs a QX to work as intended. For the same reason, a brood+1/2 makes no sense either.
A hive consisting of one size of box can still use a QX if desired, but does not need one.

A national hive certainly does not require the use of a Qx, and you can if you wish run nationals with 1 size box. The majority of shallow boxes I use are for comb honey other than that I’ll extract brood size/deeps. Other than that the claim a Qx will cause stress/disease is frankly poppycock.

Latest posts

Back