Quick requeen question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_220

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
2 + nuc
After an emergence requeen has begun when should the excess QC be removed in days after egg in cups and how meany should be left in the hive ? As i guess if there are to meany QC they would split with casts from the hive. Which are not productive with a hunny crop.

Just wondering for my own personal info.

Ten past three.

Sorry ;) If you have queen cells its best to select the best 2 and destroy the rest.
Anytime before the first QC hatches is ok,but better from the day they are capped onwards is good incase the weather turns.

Do you leave 2 because you want one as "insurance"?

Do you leave 2 because you want one as "insurance"?

Or because you want to give yourself some kind of wierd satisfaction of losing at least half of the bee's you still have in the hive.:svengo:

quite agree, why would you go to the bother of knocking down the Q cells just to purposefully leave the bees the perfect reason to swarm.
the thing to do I would have thought would be to make sure you leave a single viable cell.
Dave

I left 2 cells in one of my hives and they swarmed.

the year before I left 7 and no swarm.

The bees don't always read the book's.

my swarm prob

The new colony that i got three weeks ago swarmed on Fri pm. i got them into a new super but couldn't find a queen in either. there were 6 cells in the first hive, but i guess that i'll have to wait for a week or so to see new workers hatching. On Sat & Sun new bees were still hatching in hive 1.
As I'm new to this, is there any reason that i can't see queens? None of the bees seem obviously bigger?
nev

Back