Quick question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregior

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was wondering if anyone knows a rough figure for what proportion of bees are out foraging at any one time during early afternoon in good weather during a good flow? I had a look at mine today when the bees were working flat out and the supers although full of nectar and uncapped honey were very low on bees, I'm talking like only 30 bees per frame. Hoping they were all out foraging but I did notice that the local playing fields that were covered in my bees working the clover was cut the other day and am a bit worried they took a bit of a slaying.

I was wondering if anyone knows a rough figure for what proportion of bees are out foraging at any one time during early afternoon in good weather during a good flow? I had a look at mine today when the bees were working flat out and the supers although full of nectar and uncapped honey were very low on bees, I'm talking like only 30 bees per frame. Hoping they were all out foraging but I did notice that the local playing fields that were covered in my bees working the clover was cut the other day and am a bit worried they took a bit of a slaying.
They are fine the bees know the tempriture of the hive and when tempritures drop the bees respond. Check at dusk you'll have plenty. Your probably a bit low on nurse bees. Make sure your brood nest isn't honey bound if it is spin some frames out and put them back in the middle

Last edited:
There is no rough figures, how much a hive has different age of bees. Each colony had its own build up.

New nurser bees become from brood. And foragers become from nurser bees. Does the the hive have swarmed? It cuts then most of bees away.

It the hive's work power is not in balance, only way is to join two hives.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back