Quick Question for Beehaus Owners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essexgary

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, just a quickie. Is it possible to use only half the beehaus brood box (ie 10 frames with the divider) but use all 4 supers across the top? not sure how this would work. Or, if you use only half the brood box - can you only usde 2 supers (can't imagine that would be enough)
Thanks

If you are only using half the brood area, you can only place supers above that section, but you can stack as high as the bees will fill (like any wooden hive). So instantly you can have 2 x 2 (4 supers) over half the brood area

The problem comes that you need something to prop the other end of the roof up.

I am sure Omlet will quite happily sell you some more empty supers, but I am sure something could be made to prop that other end up.

A more sensible solution, might have been to have the roof in 2 sections...might get the saw to mine!

If you are only using half the brood area, you can only place supers above that section, but you can stack as high as the bees will fill (like any wooden hive). So instantly you can have 2 x 2 (4 supers) over half the brood area

The problem comes that you need something to prop the other end of the roof up.

I am sure Omlet will quite happily sell you some more empty supers, but I am sure something could be made to prop that other end up.

A more sensible solution, might have been to have the roof in 2 sections...might get the saw to mine!

Thanks Jim, maybe it's something I wont have to worry about - but of course, I'm expecting my bees to be the most prolific honey producers known to man... I'll see how it goes and either invest in a couple of breeze-blocks - or a few extra supers!

ps - have you done an AS yet using both sides with the divider? did it work out? also did you re-introduce back into one again? I'm looking forward to trying that out when I get QC's...

ps - have you done an AS yet using both sides with the divider? did it work out? also did you re-introduce back into one again? I'm looking forward to trying that out when I get QC's...

No that will be a bit later on...will keep you posted.

I think that I commented on this in a post just after they had been launched....staking my claim to the 'split roof idea royalty'!:biggrinjester:

Essexgary dont forget to order the stick prop holder, and stick prop holder clips as well lol

If you are only going to use half the box then the sensible thing is to use the middle section.

The colony is isolated from the ends so will be warmer earlier in the year and certainly throughout the winter. Colony expansion is then a simple addition of frames without disturbing the brood frames.

That is the standard way I use my Dartingtons and will be, as the colony expands, in the beehaus.

If only using half the frames it is simply equivalent to a jumbo National.

Doing an artificial swarm with a beehaus or Dartington is so straight forward that anyone should be able to do it easily. I have never yet reunited the colonies in the Dartingtons as I have always had a use for the new queen elsewhere, or have wished to retain the old queen because of her positive traits.

RAB

If you are only going to use half the box then the sensible thing is to use the middle section.

Thats a very good sugestion! I will re-arrange frames to suit at the weekend.:hurray: Then like you say expansion is equaly from the mid point, bit like a TBH?

Adding suppers up the middle as a 1+1 will allow the roof the balance in the mid point but creating an overhang, just depends if the elastics currently supplied are up to keeping the roof on when the wind gets under it.

Thats a very good sugestion! I will re-arrange frames to suit at the weekend.:hurray: Then like you say expansion is equaly from the mid point, bit like a TBH?

Adding suppers up the middle as a 1+1 will allow the roof the balance in the mid point but creating an overhang, just depends if the elastics currently supplied are up to keeping the roof on when the wind gets under it.

I like the suggestion too! one question though how would an AS work? just use one of the remaining empty sides? will that be large enough?

Latest posts

Back