Quick dead outs by varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on!
The whole CCD/disappearing thing is absconding, sometimes on a grand scale. The hives are suddenly empty and the missing bees are nowhere to be found - where did they go? 5:

So quick abscond that they forgot the queen in their hurry...

Did they find better queen somewhere?

I phoned to our main menthor of Finnish beekeeping society. He has 1000 own hives and he is one of the most knowledcable beekeeprs in Finland. He takes care much about international things too.

He have seen these case more than enough. He told that he believes the co operation of viruses and mites. It just happends. He could not explain more but it is connected to varroa load. He is one of the biggest queen breeders too in Finland.

If you need contact to Finnish professionals, contact Ari Seppälä http://www.hunaja.net/yhteystiedot/
And he is very pleasant guy to talk with. Smart guy and a proper sence of humour. No need to poke him.

.http://backyardhive.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/ari-seppala-the-bee-advisor-to-finland/

Last edited:
One hive absconds with a queen and many worker bees from hives in the apiary join this swarm, it just draws them to it like a magnet. The swarm many stay in the vicinity of the apiary or just fly off - where it goes is not know. However, we often see reports of empty hives and reports of nearby apiaries that seem to doing exceeding well from a population point of view. Some hives suddenly acquire unusually large and inexplicable increases in populations. There are many reports of one apiary being devoid of bees and another 500m away in perfect condition........so on and so on.

One hive absconds with a queen and many worker bees from hives in the apiary join this swarm, it just draws them to it like a magnet. .

2 hives. Another had spoonfull of living bees. No queen.
Another had coffee cup of bees + queen. Good pollen stores.

No dead on floor. Absolutely clean floors.
No heap of dead bees in front of entrance.

2 hives. Another had spoonfull of living bees. No queen.
Another had coffee cup of bees + queen. Good pollen stores.

No dead on floor. Absolutely clean floors.
No heap of dead bees in front of entrance.

Seems to be a mystery about this queen.

Ok, we opened the hives and they were empty. Another had cupfull of bees and the queen. Another had a spoolfull of bees.

There were no dead bees on floor. As empty as empty is.

So on queen missing and many worker bees from several hives. Sort of fits the profile of the "usual suspect" = ABSCONDING.

The title of the thread should give a good clue as to what Finman thinks killed these hives... and as he seems to know somehow that they robbed local wild hives, indicates he believes the were killed by varroa from the wild hives.

Norton's glue is valuable about absconding. I have read about hives swarming fever for varroa
I have seen many these dead outs but not with that speed

Dead out include that floor is full of broken pupae. And in front of entrance there is a heap of dead pupae.

BUT HOWEVER the main reason is a big varroa load and I just here tell what may happen when you believe that your hives manage with varroa.

BUT HOWEVER the main reason is a big varroa load and I just here tell what may happen when you believe that your hives manage with varroa.
Very thoughtful of you. We know what may happen, but do you know what was the cause in this case?

Be afraid, be very, very afraid of the big bad mite and don't go down to the woods alone.

Chris

BUT HOWEVER the main reason is a big varroa load and I just here tell what may happen when you believe that your hives manage with varroa

Just in case if anyone had missed this one

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-8-time-for-a-paradigm-shift/

USA's knowledge about varroa is 10 years after European knowledge.

I do not mind read Randy Oliver's writings because he has just collected information, which I can read from original papers.

Randy likes to use US researches even if the same thing has explained in Europe 10-15 years earlier.

Randy Oliver thinks things but he does not veryfie his ideas with researches.

As many knows, away learning is much more difficult than new learning. That is why I do not mind to read speculations.

But thanks Scutellator, I must start to read, what European researchers say about viruses during last 5 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back