questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slider955i

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
just added my 1st super to my hive and all is well, have the qx under the super and crown board on top of super.
when the super is full i intend to put this one at the top and slip another super in between ,

question is do you put the super straight on top of the other (which is what i am thinking ) or do you need another crown board ?

also what is the best way of removing bees off the supers when the time is right to harvest in your opinion ?

many thanks in advance :grouphug:

Only the one crown board- just on the very top.
To clear the bees a few options. - crown board back under the supers with a ported bee escape in situ in the crown board-(thats the only time for a second crown board- but not essential.) or a rhombus bee escape- which I find works well, or a liquid called bee quick= when applied the bees leave the super as it smells bad to them but doesnt taint the honey.
The latter is used when you want them out in 10 minutes- the other methods are overnight.
Hope this helpful

just added my 1st super to my hive and all is well, have the qx under the super and crown board on top of super.
when the super is full i intend to put this one at the top and slip another super in between ,

question is do you put the super straight on top of the other (which is what i am thinking ) or do you need another crown board ?

also what is the best way of removing bees off the supers when the time is right to harvest in your opinion ?

many thanks in advance :grouphug:

Just the one crown board on top is enough. Just move it down to the top of the brew box when time to harvest the honey, with the plastic bee excludes in. Leave for 24 hours and then, remove the bee free supers. Honey on toast for tee.

Pete

Last edited:
Yes put the new super under the original one (as you are thinking) and you dont need a 2nd crown board.

The best way to clear the bees from the super is with a clearer board fitted with two porter bee escapes.

You put the clearer board with porter bee escapes fitted under the super you want to remove from the hive and clear of bees and leave for 48 hours the bees in the super will travel down through the porter bee escapes and are not able to get back into the super.
You return to the hive 48 hours later and the super will be clear of all but perhaps a couple of bees you remove the super replace the crown board and roof and leave with a heavy super full of honey happy days.

Back