Questions about catching a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I made a bait box (following the guidelines in Finman's post) and I thought it would be a good idea to put it up at home. To be quite honest I didn't expect to catch anything in it, but a month ago I was itching to do something.
Well for the past three days the box has attracted a lot of attention, 30 odd bees. I know 30 don't make a swarm..............but there's been less than nothing before. It put me in a bit of a panic really, because the box is 7 ft up and not exactly what you would call bee tight, they were flying in and out of where the body meets the floor ( needs a bit of a design tweak.......) and I live in a terraced house with no garden and the box is in the yard :ack2:
Last night - under the cover of darkness, I took it down and replaced it with a more bee tight box (make from hedgerows youtube video) the bees have been in and rooting through the comb and there is debris on the floor.
Question.........how long do scout bees scout for?
Does this look promising?
Shall I just sneak out again tonight and remove it and call it a day?
They've been rooting for 3 days now, and they seem keen.

Frisbee

Why do you want to take it down if the bees are taking interest?
I thought that was the reason to put a bait hive up in the first place. If you have bees taking an interest then leave it and see what happens. That is if you want some free bees. :)

Why do you want to take it down if the bees are taking interest?
I thought that was the reason to put a bait hive up in the first place. If you have bees taking an interest then leave it and see what happens. That is if you want some free bees. :)

Because I'm quite good at acting first and thinking about the consequences only when they are treading on my toes..............

So the thought of catching a swarm was one I acted upon, but the logistics of a swarm appearing in my small back yard have become apparent with these 30 or so bees buzzing around the box. When I'm in my acre field, a hive of bees is small in comparison and a few steps away from the hives are easy to take........a few steps away from these bees and I'm in my neighbours back yard............

Frisbee

Latest posts

Back