Question on importing goods

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Could anyone who has experience of importing products to sell on, give me an idea of what the process is? Looking through the internet can be a bit confusing at times and I was hoping someone here would be able to break the process down a bit?

From what I can see it's a case of:

Agree price and contract with supplier
Order goods
Will then be invoiced for goods and shipping.
Will have to pay an import tax Based on value of the goods.
Will then have to pay VAT based on all of the above?

Is this correct so far?

Just has my first experience of ordering something from Germany and that’s about it. The shipper they used was using Parcelforce in the UK and so I got a letter from them with the payment I had to make. Once I made that then delivery was done a couple of days later. The fees included a £12 processing fee and the total taxes, duties and fees were about 30% on top of the price of the goods and shipping cost #brexitdividend.

I just noticed that Holtermann, one of the bigger beekeeping equipment firms in Germany no longer lists UK as a shipping destination, nor translates to English. It's stupid.

I just noticed that Holtermann, one of the bigger beekeeping equipment firms in Germany no longer lists UK as a shipping destination, nor translates to English. It's stupid.
It's only in recent years that they started listing UK as a shipping destination too.

Hi all,

Could anyone who has experience of importing products to sell on, give me an idea of what the process is? Looking through the internet can be a bit confusing at times and I was hoping someone here would be able to break the process down a bit?

From what I can see it's a case of:

Agree price and contract with supplier
Order goods
Will then be invoiced for goods and shipping.
Will have to pay an import tax Based on value of the goods.
Will then have to pay VAT based on all of the above?

Is this correct so far?
Recently bought a pneumatic fruit press from Polsinelli in Italy. VAT was paid in Italy and courier costs were included (DHL) in initial costs. About 3 weeks after arrival, received an invoice from DHL for UK import duty (20%). May also have been a minor charge for customs clearance. Had expected that this might happen. This was for personal use so VAT issues may be different if for resale? I would not know, I am afraid, but hope that helps.

Back