question--help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstrom

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
At my allotment a fellow novice beekeepers bees have swarmed. The weather is terrible windy and showery and they have been in the apple tree for 24 hours at least. Somebody said they already swarmed on sunday and went to the same spot and then left and came back (??? is this likely or is this a second swarm?) I am a member of a bee society but no one has time to come and get them down, and i am too inexperienced and its too dangerous to do it myself (access isn't very easy and they are at the top of the tree). Are they going to be ok? I put an empty BB on the roof of a shed about 2.5m from the swarm, should i put a feeder up there? Is there anything I can do to help them survive or am i worrying needlessly, thanks for any advice.

Maybe some drawn frames in the BB, together with plenty of lemon grass oil on the frames and around the entrance.

thanks i will try that, the poor guy has gone on holiday and his hive is almost now empty, you don't think a feeder will help?

I think you have done all you can given the situation no point taking any risks if they are high in the tree. If you are not able to contact the beekeeper and other people are not able to help then the BB on the roof is the only thing you can do and a good thing to try.

ok thanks, i will try to get some pulled frames in and some lemon grass oil around the entrance tonight.

Somebody said they already swarmed on sunday and went to the same spot and then left and came back (??? is this likely or is this a second swarm?) .

what is your rough location ,it helps to put more than just UK on your profile, the town is better

someone on here might be nearbye and able to help

thanks i will try that, the poor guy has gone on holiday and his hive is almost now empty, you don't think a feeder will help?
I think (newbee to) - that a feeder would encourage robbing by wasps etc rather than encourage the swarm??

Yep - Brood box, manky old comb and lemon grass or swarm lure is the best you can do. Feed if/when they arrive in the brood box. Don't shin up a tree if you don't feel confident!

I put the lemon grass oil around the entrance and after a few minutes a couple of bees from the swarm came down to have a look and one did go in, so maybe they will like it better than the tree tops fingers crossed, thanks to everyone for advice.

I put the lemon grass oil around the entrance and after a few minutes a couple of bees from the swarm came down to have a look and one did go in, so maybe they will like it better than the tree tops fingers crossed, thanks to everyone for advice.

Hi Molly, did not realise it was you

if its 15ft up in the tree , it is collectable, but i think the problem is most swarm collectors want the prize of the swarm. I assume he is not in our BKA but will his own BKA help ( ?West Herts or Harrow)

if your freind want help when he returns, i have long tree pruners and some spare swarm lures in the freezer.

See you next saturday, i am bringing a beginer from the Taster Day, as they were offered Apiary Visits, if she arrive before me, dont let her go too near , i will bring PPE for her.

Geoffrye

Last edited:
hi geoff,
we are going to try a rescue tonight sheets and boxes at the ready, do you know how long a swarm can stay in a tree like that, they are there now since wed. and some others are claiming they are there since last sunday, seems astounding to me to last a week up the apple tree. I will wait with your learner next week if i am early. see you sat., if we are unsuccessful i may ask about borrowing those long pruners b/c that is exactly was is needed.
ps i don't know if he is in a BKA actually he did a course but i don't know where , i asked at ours for help and no one responded.

Latest posts

Back