Question about shutting bees in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
My next-door neighbour, with whom we are currently on good terms, is holding a charity event in his garden on Sunday.

My bees are usually good natured but I have had several swarms already (including one into his garden), and I'd hate to spoil his event by having several thousand of them flying around his visitors. So, to be on the safe side, I was proposing to close the entrances of the hives after dark on Saturday and re-open them Sunday evening.

Apart from making the bees a bit tetchy, is there any other problem with this?

Thanks
Mandy

Provided they are on open mesh floors then no they should be fine.

PH

It could however stress them enormously, especially if it's dry and sunny.

Personally I wouldn't do it and I suggest you keep a close ear on the hive throughout the day for any signs/sounds of hyper activity regardless of whether it's ventilated.

Chris

My first questiion might be: Do these hives contain queen cells? Swarming is fairly irelevant under most situations.

RAB

sometimes we need to lock the bees in when the farmers are spraying their fields

Particularly on warmer days they do get thirsty. mist the open mesh floor below with a water with a small hand sprayer.
Before (and during) their opening, spray the front of the hive with water. when they are released your hive will have bees covering the front lapping up the water...

try and avoid it if you can though...

sometimes we need to lock the bees in when the farmers are spraying their fields

Particularly on warmer days they do get thirsty. mist the open mesh floor below with a water with a small hand sprayer.
Before (and during) their opening, spray the front of the hive with water. when they are released your hive will have bees covering the front lapping up the water...

try and avoid it if you can though...

As pete says,i have gone one step further for our fete on saturday,i have fitted every hive/nuc box with top mesh screens and have replaced the lids but can just remove if need be with no lose of bees.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I don't know how likely they are to be in swarm mode - I've lost confidence in myself after losing a second swarm from a hive that I was convinced only had one queen cell remaining after the first swarm.

The forecast here for Sunday is cloudy and 18°, so not too hot. But I could easily give them a spray of water up through the OMF if it does warm up a bit.

I've been doing work in my garden and I have shut my bees in twice now and they have been fine.

I let them out again at the very earliest opportunity.

Yours Roy

Put a very light garden sprayer attached to a hose so that it showers a very light spray down onto the hive. (Not enough to flood the garden!!!) It keeps them cool on a hot day and they think its raining so they don't fly.
E

Latest posts

Back