question about crownboard.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
should i be better swapping my single center holed crownboard for one with a long shaped hole in case the bee's dont cluster in the middle of the hive,meaning that i can still place the fondant over them no matter where they are in the hive???

Will it make any difference? You will still need to remove it if they are on the wrong side.

Central is a good bet. Two holes make changing the feed, if in a container, easier. I don't think the bees will worry too much if they have to move 40mm to get the food either.

Regards, RAB

Last year mine clustered in the centre and then moved to the opposite end to the second opening in the crown board.

When I changed my fondant containers (only twice over 5 months and these were in Feb and March), I looked through the openings to see where the cluster was rather than break the seal on the crown board.

I would rather do this than chill then with a sudden up draught through the omf of the complete hive.

Latest posts

Back