Question about bruising stores in the brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barratt_sab

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
If there are stores in brood frames and I bruise them to encourage the bees to move the stores up to a super, should I worry about treatments that have been applied when the brood frames were in the hive?

I wouldn’t put Apiguard on the hive when there are supers on, but what if some of the stores in the brood box were originally gathered when it was on?

A fairly theoretical question, I suppose, but I’d be interested in any views.

If you are in Herts/Essex your bees have possibly passed their strongest point and you will not see a brood nest as large as it has been over the past few weeks, and this is especially the case if you have OSR in your district. As such, your bees are in decline mode and will be storing honey where there was previously brood. The time for bruising cappings has passed. Bruise cappings and they will simplt re-seal them.

No.

Because I bruise and build my brood combs to fill the box with brood and so there are no "left overs"

PH

If you are in Herts/Essex your bees have possibly passed their strongest point and you will not see a brood nest as large as it has been over the past few weeks, and this is especially the case if you have OSR in your district. As such, your bees are in decline mode and will be storing honey where there was previously brood. The time for bruising cappings has passed. Bruise cappings and they will simplt re-seal them.

Does that mean I should consider extracting the brood frames I have with huge amounts of stores in them?

You do know its May not July right?

Does that mean I should consider extracting the brood frames I have with huge amounts of stores in them?

As long as you don't sell the honey to the general public?

Latest posts

Back