Queens stopped laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
This is my first year. I have 3 colonies. I am Yorkshire based. I have not put any varroa control in. I intend to do OA in the New Year.

The colonies have plenty of stores in and their temperament is the same as it has been all year but I havent seen the queen...ever.

2 colonies still have eggs and larvae inside

but the third and this is my concern ... the queen has stopped laying. Is this normal/ok/anything to worry about?

The old queen stops laying 2-3 weeks earlier than same years queens.
There are differencies among hives when they stop.
Winter feedind normally starts it again. Queen lays then into about 2 frames.

where in the uk are you, it is always better to put your nearest town rather than just uk, especial with query that may be realted to weather or temperature

some type of Queen such as Carnolians are more prone to stop laying in derth periods whereas Italian Queen hardly have a break if any

Last edited:
where in the uk are you, it is always better to put your nearest town rather than just uk, especial with query that may be realted to weather or temperature

some type of Queen such as Carnolians are more prone to stop laying in derth periods whereas Italian Queen hardly have a break if any

Yorkshire.

Finman is right.

Another factor may be the strain of bee.

As long as she is still there you are likely OK. If she is not, then the options are to see if they survive without a queen, until spring, and unite with the other colonies to boost their early spring development, or to unite with the other two colonies now.

The former risks the added problem a laying workers, but likely the best bet for a new beek as any mistakes at this time of the year can end in further troubles or even disaster.

She is probably still there, may have been superceded, etc. With two good hives (and possibly a third good one) I would not worry too much, and do nothing now.

If there is no capped brood either, this may be a good opportunity to treat that hive (only) with oxalic acid now. It would not then be treated/disturbed in the colder months.

Regards, RAB

thanks for some constructive advice folks.

@Finman ... you might have hit the nail on the head here. All three colonies are swarms. Yorkshire Mongrels but this colony was the first in June and quite large so I believe/am guessing it was a prime swarm with an older queen. The other two were small and I think casts with new queens.

@RAB The OA suggestion seems a sound one. as it will be good practice in higher temps. There is no brood in the box. but I like the do nothing now suggestion best. I think I just have new beek paranoia and I should lose the "I need to do some thing all the time" approach.

I had Carniolan and Italians together 10 years and they acted same way. No difference.

I have had lots Italian strains during 40 years, and they are kept in Polar Circle too.
UK is nothing special. If you import from south queens like from New Zealand, some of them bring with them continuous laying.

Latest posts

Back