queens intenal organs.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Because i can not place my photos in the album section i am loading them on this site it will take a few posts but hopefully they will turn out ok.

Mo

last couple i think

Interesting. It would be useful from a breeding perspective to see the spermatheca dissected out of its cover to see how much egg-laying capacity there is left cf the age of the queen.

Any particular reason why she fell apart so easily?
it is probably due to the time she has been dead when the whole internal organs relax and start to decompose.

I have been wondering what makes a queen adrone layer. there have been other queens that i have dissected that have had a brown staining on the oviducts and thought it might also be a blockage somewhere on the valve fold.
I have placed all the organs in a preserving fluid and will have a closer look at the spermatheca and the valve fold in higher magnification.

Mo:gnorsi:

Post bysusbees

Interesting. It would be useful from a breeding perspective to see the spermatheca dissected out of its cover to see how much egg-laying capacity there is left cf the age of the queen.

I do not think i could get a definate answer to that question because a queen can live up to 5 years and still have the capasity to lay fetilised eggs.
I have just breed queens from a queen that was 4 years old and she was a better layer than one of this years new queens. But yes it might have some information worth considering.

Mo

Post bysusbees

I do not think i could get a definate answer to that question because a queen can live up to 5 years and still have the capasity to lay fetilised eggs.
I have just breed queens from a queen that was 4 years old and she was a better layer than one of this years new queens. But yes it might have some information worth considering.

Mo

So, does the colour not ebb away with time? As in you can tell how effectively mated a queen was at the start this way...

Sorry mate I don't quite understand the question, what colour are we talking about, the colour of the queen when she is first mated?

i have found the colour of the queen stays constant during her life time.

Also i tried to see if the valve fold was defective in any way. as its attached to the spermatheca. Big mistake i examined in the open air under a dissecting microscope. the bloody thing disintegrated because of air being allowed to come into contact with it. but the spermathece i busted open to see if there were any sperm inside . well the answer is there for you all to see. No sperm. no wonder she was a drone layer.
Is there anyone out there who could explain what the spermatece is composed of?

Last edited:
Hi Hivemaker,
Whilst i respect your comments my friend surely protiens are groups of nitrogenous compounds of high molecular weight that are essential to all living organisms, and are not sufficent to hold live sperm I think you are saying the contents of the spermtheca is a fluid of protiens allowing the sperm to live.
Anyway here are some of those pictures I ment to post earlier.

Mo

I wonder if the sac and tube showing on the spermatheca is a dissease of some description therefor making her a drone layer.
I wish I knew more about all this.

Last edited:
From Bailey& Ball,

Under the heading Other Undiagnoised Abnormalities

QUeen bees, FYG has carried out meticulus studies of the abnormalities of adult queens in Switzerland, He also ment5ions stones that consist of concentric layers of urie acid which occurs in the rectum of queens,
He has written papers but they are downloaded at a price.

Mo

Latest posts

Back