Queens in the freezer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A while ago I posted about why you would bother to keep expired queens in the freezer. Well today I had a sort of answer. A few days ago I was called to a swarm that had settled in a compost bin. There was a fair bit of comb, but I managed to get most of the bees out and re-homed. Two days ago I saw the queen in her new home and all was well. I had told the owner of the bin that any residual bees would soon disappear. She called today saying there were still 'hundreds' in the bin, so I returned and hatched a little plan. I smeared a queen from the freezer inside the top of my skep and placed it on the compost bin. Two hours later all the bees were clustered in the skep and have just been re-united with their friends. So it seems there may well be at least one good reason to hang on to old queens after all!

Very bad practice not to collect the whole swarm... always leave the collecting vessel until ALL the bees are in... even if it is inconvenient for you to return at dark to collect.

If you can not do the job properly perhaps you should leave it to a proper beekeeper who can !
Too much of this sloppy swarm collecting going on IMOLO !

I must admit I have been asked to take 'everything now' as they do not want you back after dark...I try to explain 'best practise' etc. but some are insistent - so I point out that while swarm collection is free there is a charge for a 2nd visit....either they allow a night visit OR pay me to return the next day and collect the stragglers (which they do not believe will appear)! I have found that the original swarm will accept stragglers if delivered within 24 hrs...

Ok, fair point Icanhopit, but as always the devil is in the detail. I am an experienced swarm collector and removed this lot after 9.30pm! However, it appeared there were some bees further down the compost out of sight, and in the gloom were missed.Over the years I have collected many swarms from almost as many different locations. I am not in the habit of posting here to have my head chewed off and deliberately went back to rectify what I considered to be an unacceptable and unprofessional situation. Thus rectified, the caller and the bees are now happy. I think you might find a better way/place to vent your anger at dodgy swarm collectors!

Respect for you both. Can see why the comment was made and why you think it was unfair. Don't let this thread explode into a slanging match....please!
Or should I just shut up!:serenade::serenade::serenade:

A while ago I posted about why you would bother to keep expired queens in the freezer. Well today I had a sort of answer. A few days ago I was called to a swarm that had settled in a compost bin. There was a fair bit of comb, but I managed to get most of the bees out and re-homed. Two days ago I saw the queen in her new home and all was well. I had told the owner of the bin that any residual bees would soon disappear. She called today saying there were still 'hundreds' in the bin, so I returned and hatched a little plan. I smeared a queen from the freezer inside the top of my skep and placed it on the compost bin. Two hours later all the bees were clustered in the skep and have just been re-united with their friends. So it seems there may well be at least one good reason to hang on to old queens after all!
Well done for collecting the swarms for free, take no notice of people on here that always find something to moan about, wonder how many they collect for free:winner1st:

IMHO means in my humble opinion .... but what does IMOLO mean?

(nothing rude please as it's almost my holy day....a celebration of when zog gave birth to ugg)

I smeared a queen from the freezer inside the top of my skep and placed it on the compost bin. Two hours later all the bees were clustered in the skep and have just been re-united with their friends.

That's a good idea.

Do you think it would work as well if you put the deceased queen in a queen cage instead of spreading her on a surface? If so, you could use the same one more than once.

Darn, I hadn't thought of that, but you may be right, a suspended queen cage may well have worked just as well and, as you say, re-useable. Actually come to think of it If cannot get rid of the pheromone inside the skep, the next swarm may not be too happy to climb inside! so its queen cage from now on.

Think icanhopit was having a bad day to be so rude :calmdown:... when you are perfect you can criticise in such a way, icanhopit:nono:.. but we can all have a time when we leave some behind- however long we wait... maybe have a chill pill. m'dear:rolleyes:

IMHO means in my humble opinion .... but what does IMOLO mean?

I think : In my own lowly opinion...but I stand to be corrected...

Maybe it's just another one of his frequent spelling mistakes that confuses everyone.

Well done for collecting the swarms for free, take no notice of people on here that always find something to moan about, wonder how many they collect for free:winner1st:

The chance would be a fine thing!!

Think icanhopit was having a bad day to be so rude :calmdown:... when you are perfect you can criticise in such a way, icanhopit:nono:.. but we can all have a time when we leave some behind- however long we wait... maybe have a chill pill. m'dear:rolleyes:

:winner1st:

Beat Tractor Man to it tho !!!

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back