Queens, Drone Congregation Areas, and the English Channel.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it true that queens prefer not to fly over the sea, or large bodies of water? If so, do drones have the same preference? Obviously they can be blown off course and carried along by the wind, but then might not be able to get home again.

Does anybody know how wide the water would need to be around an island to make an bee-proof exclusion zone?

"Is it true that queens prefer not to fly over the sea, or large bodies of water?"

given that they often (always?) fall to the ground during/after mating i'd imagine that reproductive success was more assured for those which avoided the sea for mating flights!!!!!

"Is it true that queens prefer not to fly over the sea, or large bodies of water?"

given that they often (always?) fall to the ground during/after mating i'd imagine that reproductive success was more assured for those which avoided the sea for mating flights!!!!!

Ah! Good point!

I believe the Germans like 4-6 miles between their isolated mating stations on islands though may have this confused with kms.

PH

Latest posts

Back