Queenless?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 Hives
Hi

I have a hive that swarmed earlier in the year, quite early on.

Around 2 months ago I checked it for Queen cells and there were 2 with grubs in which I left.

Anyway around a 3-4 weeks ago I last did an inspection and found there were grubs, so confident that the queen had emerged.

Checked yesterday (as wanted to leave her to it), found lots of bees but no grubs or brood.

Am I stuffed? Anything I can do to salvage?

Cheers

Nick

Hi

I have a hive that swarmed earlier in the year, quite early on.

Around 2 months ago I checked it for Queen cells and there were 2 with grubs in which I left.

Anyway around a 3-4 weeks ago I last did an inspection and found there were grubs, so confident that the queen had emerged.

Checked yesterday (as wanted to leave her to it), found lots of bees but no grubs or brood.

Am I stuffed? Anything I can do to salvage?

Cheers

Nick
Did you see any Eggs in the cells

Put in a test frame from your other hive Nick.

A test frame is a frame with eggs on it., if the hive is Q- then they will produce queen cells.

Put in a test frame from your other hive Nick.

A test frame is a frame with eggs on it., if the hive is Q- then they will produce queen cells.

So no need to worry about cross contamination?

Thanks!

Hi Nick they are both your hives you should know the health of your hives to the best of your ability.

If your hive is Q- and with no chance of raising a queen then it is lost and will get weak and perhaps eventually sick and be a big risk to your other hive, so the small risk of adding a test frame from one hive to the other hive is a small one to take.

Thanks - will do this when I get in from work later.

As for them being more aggressive if queenlesss, any truth in that?

Nick i was in the same boat as you last week. I was about to put a test frame in the hive, when i saw the new queen. She was big long and looked like she had mated, one week on still no eggs from her. But i know she is there, so its now a waiting game. Its been 4 weeks now since she hatched.

im sure your in the same situation, hold tight! Im sure the bees have it under control ;)

Latest posts

Back