Queenless into spring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a hive that I was sure had gone queen-less late into the autumn. It was too late to attempt to Re queen so I kept my fingers crossed perhaps I was wrong

Very warm today so had a chance to check all my hives, tidy up and feed. This one particular hive is definitely queen less and there was also a small amount of drone brood - so now not only queenless but I have a laying worker !!
Any suggestions on my course of action. I thought perhaps combine with a smaller hive ... but not sure of the implications of a laying worker alongside a queen ?? I know I have seen posts where you can shake a hive out - but not sure that’s feasible at this time of year.

Uniting a hive with laying workers ( there are lots) is straightforward if your receiving colony is strong but you MUST be sure you don’t have a DLQ.

That I am not sure of - as I only did a quick inspection - and possibly jumped ahead of myself. Will wait to have a proper look when it’s a bit warmer for a closer look - thank you for your help
That’s best.
No need for inspections really this early.
Check for stores and leave them to it.

That’s best.
No need for inspections really this early.
Check for stores and leave them to it.
As Dani says, you need to be ultra careful inspecting hives at this time of the year. There are no replacements for an accidentally killed, injured, trapped, dropped, squashed queen! Although I do understand why you would want to check on the maybe queenless hive

I expect there is a queen in there. I’m sure some on here would like to know how you could work out you have laying workers at this time of the year. The middle of February and no or little brood is meaningless. Seen it all before.

I expect there is a queen in there. I’m sure some on here would like to know how you could work out you have laying workers at this time of the year. The middle of February and no or little brood is meaningless. Seen it all before.
Yes... that's what I was thinking ...too early to tell and nothing you can sensibly do about it at present anyway.

Oliger90owner - As advised I am just going to sit tight and see. I only had a very quick look and spotted only a very small amount of brood but it was all big bulging drone type ??? Though on the outer most frames. Perhaps I am jumping to conclusions as I thought that particular hive was queenless going into winter. I was just looking for some guidance as how to go forward should my queenless theory prove correct. When it’s warm like it has been your itching to take a peek and make sure everything is OK. But as advised I will hide my time. Thank you everyone for feedback and advised - always much appreciated and highly valued

For the future, as part of your over-wintering preparations you should make sure all colonies are +Q. If not, unite in the autumn, so you get some use of the bees. Now you will have a lot of mess to clear up including messed up combs.

Latest posts

Back