Queenless hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys I have a queenless hive, I was going to unite my nuc with new queen but since waiting for new queen to setyle in etc the queenless hive has produced a drone laying worker.
I don't want to risk uniting and the laying worker killing queen so I'm thinking of removing the hive would this be any good to my friend who lost his hive? Would a brought mated queen be able to with stand a laying worker?

Hi guys I have a queenless hive, I was going to unite my nuc with new queen but since waiting for new queen to setyle in etc the queenless hive has produced a drone laying worker.
I don't want to risk uniting and the laying worker killing queen so I'm thinking of removing the hive would this be any good to my friend who lost his hive? Would a brought mated queen be able to with stand a laying worker?
If you have LW then there will be lots not just one. The bees will kill any introduced queen.

Yeah that's the worry so was planning on removing that hive and moving the next doo hive over slightly so any bees out flying will go into the moved hive to strengthen them up for winter or is there a rish that the laying workers could be out flying and end up in moved over hive?
Do laying workers still fly or just lay?

Laying workers have wings like any other bee so yes they can fly.
What might occur is that orientation may have been lost if they have not left the hive for some time, shake them out away from the other hives and allow them to beg there way in to another.

I got 3 right this min I started with a swarm then split with old queen so she's in a hive the new queen has a hive and then the original hive minus a queen

I got 3 right this min I started with a swarm then split with old queen so she's in a hive the new queen has a hive and then the original hive minus a queen
Then you have enough hives to shake this lot out. I wouldn’t have recommended shaking out in front of one nucleus colony. If you fancy bolstering the nuc numbers you could indeed swap the hive round for a couple of days then shake them out.

I was going take them away and shake out
You only need to shake them out a few yards away from the other hives, just remember to remove the hive you shook out away from the stand as otherwise they will all just return there - laying workers and all

So laying workers would not kill the queen's in the other hives then? Is that due to them being established in that hive

So laying workers would not kill the queen's in the other hives then? Is that due to them being established in that hive
If the queenright hive is strong the bees protect their queen and the other bees are overwhelmed anyway. They will continue to lay for a few days but their eggs are removed by the house bees. Pretty soon the brood pheromone stops them laying

Latest posts

Back