Queenless hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all/ i have a hive that hasnt been bringing much pollen in so today 16 degrees i had a look in and there is no eggs or brood of any description.i realy suspect that it is queenless. It is a hive that i united last year and the queen was laying well. There is plenty of bees in it, what are my options??. What would someone more experienced do ??? Thanks.

11 colonies? First of all I would ascertain whether queenless or not. Unite when queenless or requeen from an overwintered nuc (might be a unite anyway). I can't think of any other simple alternatives, can you?

Last edited:
If you can't find the queen, borrow a frame of eggs from another hive and see if the bees make queen cells, are the bees good tempered or are there any fanning outside the entrance all signs of a queenless hive

there is no eggs or brood of any description

no debate, unite them with the strongest of your other hives.

After i had inspected the bees were fanning at the entrance. If i ascertain that they are queenless and unite when can this be done ??

Toby, there will always be fanning at the entrance vafter the hive's been disturbed enough - if you look closely, they've stuck their bum in the air to expose the Nasonev gland which exhudes a pheromone saying "here is home"....whatever

Unite tomorrow, the weather looks ok. Don't bother faffing about with a frame of eggs as that colony is queenless

richard

Buy a queen is another option

there is no eggs or brood of any description

no debate, unite them with the strongest of your other hives.

I had one that i inspected just over a week ago like that,strong,but no eggs or brood,but they had a virgin queen,which i killed, and then gave them a new mated queen.

A test frame is always a good idea,unless your 100% sure they are Q-

Last edited:
Options options what to do??? I will have a good look on a sunny day only 8 degrees today and then probably put test frame in 2 make sure i would like 2 put new queen in if they are queenless.. I see hivemaker put a new queen in yours. Have you got any spare 2 sell????

toby - given where you are you need strong colonies for the OSR.
rather than delay further for a queen i'd unite. get a nice strong colony for the flow then AS it.

Osr 200 acres 2 fields off my hives this hive that is suspect is in a garden on its own about a mile or maybe a little bit more from my others. If i took one to it from home would some of the bees come back. And if they did would they go in other hives??

I would read through what you wrote in first post of the thread and rethink . You united a queenless colony with a strong queenright one . You have come out of Winter with one qless hive . Why risk doing the same thing again ?

I would be hard nosed about it and let it dwindle , but you could put a frame of emerging brood from a strong hive , but only if you have the number of bees needed to nurse them . Keep in mind these are now old ladies from last year and wont be around for much longer .

G

Leave them alone

Hi

I know this is the opposite of the pro active replies but if there are bees and pollen at this time of year I would leave them for 2 weeks.
There are no Queens around at the moment.....whatstherush
And early April see what's happening then...

roy

surely the longer you leave it the more ensconced will be any laying workers and the colony itself will be dwindling as the winter bees die out.

If you're sure they're queenless unite, otherwise put in a test frame to check for presence of the queen. (She'll more likely be found on/near the brood if present). If queen present, remove her and unite anyway. Could be duff queen or later supercedure queen that never mated.

thanks everyone for replying.... now for the update i panic,, temp got up so me being me i lit smoker and had a look deffinatly no eggs or brood plenty of stores, plenty of room 4 queen to lay..and there on the last frame was a marked queen, she looks in good nick.. so why is she not laying?? when the ones i looked at yesterday all had 2/3/ or 4 frames of brood. this queen was 2011 and laying well last year. thanks everyone i think patience patience

Toby

Glad you could identify her as I'd suggest you open the hive again to remove her then unite.

Obviously there's something wrong - it can't be a three week headache !

im abit puzzled about the queen/ it was one that i united last year and she was laying really well. there is a good lot of bees in the hive, no drones, its just puzzling why she isnt laying, she looked well. i will leave it till weekend then if the weathers good ile open hive and see. but i think youre right somethings wrong and if i dilly about ile get nowhere//

im abit puzzled about the queen/ it was one that i united last year and she was laying really well. there is a good lot of bees in the hive, no drones, its just puzzling why she isnt laying, she looked well. i will leave it till weekend then if the weathers good ile open hive and see. but i think youre right somethings wrong and if i dilly about ile get nowhere//

option 2
split off into a nuc with the existing queen, plus frame of brood/eggs from another hive. re-unite what is left with another hive.

See if the nuc bees try and replace her or she starts laying. If neither happens remove the broken queen and re-unite the nuc plus new bees from the brood frame with another hive.

done as much as you can do at that point

option 2
split off into a nuc with the existing queen, plus frame of brood/eggs from another hive. re-unite what is left with another hive.

See if the nuc bees try and replace her or she starts laying. If neither happens remove the broken queen and re-unite the nuc plus new bees from the brood frame with another hive.

done as much as you can do at that point

I would test for Nosema first before you split or unite, She could be Nosemetic...quick test could save you a lots of problems

i think the drought stress in South Eeast /East Anglia last year has increased the number of cases of Nosema this winter

why did you unite last year, was one of the hives failing....nosema?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back