Queenless cluster?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A question for the more experienced forum members. Do queenless bees cluster ? Specifically, if a small queenless hive is shaken out of their box in an apiary, will they prefer to cluster together somewhere over begging entrance to a nearby hive?
Thanks

A question for the more experienced forum members. Do queenless bees cluster ? Specifically, if a small queenless hive is shaken out of their box in an apiary, will they prefer to cluster together somewhere over begging entrance to a nearby hive?
Thanks

If they are determinedly clustering then I would suspect there's a queen in there. At least, that has been the case when I have seen this happen. Might be worth hiving that cluster on a frame of drawn comb, and taking a closer look.

What made you think they were queenless?

Collected a small swarm Tuesday in a correx nuc box, assumed Q was inside as bees fanning for stragglers. Wednesday a.m transferred to a wooden nuc dummied down and no sign of Q anywhere, barely more then 2 B.S frames of bees.

If they are determinedly clustering then I would suspect there's a queen in there. At least, that has been the case when I have seen this happen. Might be worth hiving that cluster on a frame of drawn comb, and taking a closer look.

What made you think they were queenless?
They were from a small nuc from a split which “presented” as queenless. No eggs/brood. Test frame though did not create queen cells when introduced and no eggs/brood even after 2weeks. Been over 5weeks waiting for sign of queen. Shook out bees (was a small hive) late one evening expecting they’d head for neighboring hives. They clustered and we still there overnight and I was going to unite them with another colony. Took @Boston Bees advice before I did that tonight and knock me down with a feather but there was a queen! To my beginner eyes she looks like she could be mated as she looks just like my laying queen. Massive thanks to @Boston Bees 👍🏼👍🏼 - you saved me a bunch of trouble!
4AF15567-7663-41A1-BE12-83EA73A80E05.jpeg
Only trouble is it is a small colony. Do they have time to build up to survive winter or is there something you would suggest?
Cheers

Dummy them down to a nice size and a little feed to help them build. It's early yet but when they have sufficient numbers to tend brood, a comb of sealed/emerging brood from another colony will help.
Good luck.

They were from a small nuc from a split which “presented” as queenless. No eggs/brood. Test frame though did not create queen cells when introduced and no eggs/brood even after 2weeks. Been over 5weeks waiting for sign of queen. Shook out bees (was a small hive) late one evening expecting they’d head for neighboring hives. They clustered and we still there overnight and I was going to unite them with another colony. Took @Boston Bees advice before I did that tonight and knock me down with a feather but there was a queen! To my beginner eyes she looks like she could be mated as she looks just like my laying queen. Massive thanks to @Boston Bees 👍🏼👍🏼 - you saved me a bunch of trouble!
View attachment 26008
Only trouble is it is a small colony. Do they have time to build up to survive winter or is there something you would suggest?
Cheers
Great stuff! Did you mark her whilst you had the chance? :unsure:

Latest posts

Back