Queenless after split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Sorry for another queenless question but...

I split a colony and the Q- half formed plenty of Q cells that were reduced to the best one. This appeared to hatch around 10th July (cell open at the tip). I've never seen the Q and, to date, there's no eggs and the bees don't seem to be preparing for any. I added a frame of eggs on 26th but having checked they not formed any new Q cells.

I know this suggests there's a Q but I've never had to wait that long and I'd like to merge the colony if it's not going to raise a Q.

Strangely the Q+ half of the split became queenless after the split and that has now raised a Q which was laying well yesterday.

If I merge them, I'd like to move the Q+ colony to the Q- site. Should I put the Q+ brood box on top of the Q- box or put the Q+ box on the bottom? To be clear they were the same colony a month ago if that helps.

I would wait. Patience is a virtue with queen's.
If uniting I like to try and get the queen right colony on the bottom but it doesn't really matter.
E

:iagree:
Wait. Give her six weeks from emergence then try a test frame again. I like the queen in the bottom so you at least know where she is.

Wait, better safe than sorry.

On that note what normally happens if you merge two queens together. Swarm, fight to the death or something else?

I'll wait a bit longer but it's been warm and sunny for the last month apart from 2 days so she's had time to get on with things. We have had a lot of swallows, dragonflies and other bee munching critters about so plenty of culprits for a missing Q.

I know this suggests there's a Q but I've never had to wait that long and I'd like to merge the colony if it's not going to raise a Q.

Strangely the Q+ half of the split became queenless after the split and that has now raised a Q which was laying well yesterday.

A belated update on this post. The Q- split did indeed end up producing a laying queen. Which is just as well as the new laying queen in the Q+ split disappeared (didn't seem to swarm) so I ended up merging them after all.

Latest posts

Back