Queencells in my hive......?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all

About 3 week ago, I discovered capped queen cells in one of my colonies.... I had lost aswarm while on holiday....i wasnt happy but its not the end of the world. I knocked down all but two of the cells and then havent been in that hive since, as I was told to leave them be for 3 to 4 weeks. I am planning an inspection next weekend.

I continued to inspect my 2nd colony though and did an inspectin last weekend, which showed up queen, eggs, brood etc. All looked good and as this was a growing colony which had previoulsy been dummied down to 6 frames until the weather improved, i removed the insulation blocks and put in another two drawn frames and two frames of foundation. Plenty of space for expension.

So today, I have inspected the colony and found queen cells. About 4 or 5, mainly on the comb but one sealed on on the bottom of the frame. I couldnt find the queen on two runs through the frames, but could find fresh eggs (still stood up) and grubs of all ages. Also out of the 5 queencells that I could see, most were still unsealed. I think two of them were sealed.

Have I lost another swarm? Or is this supercedure? I am confused because I thought the queen would still be there if it was superdedure but With the majority of the cells being on the comb and not on the frame edges, doesnt this point towards supercedure?

Queen cells sealed on day 8, so would have been there last weekend if you have sealed cells now. If 4 or 5 that's a lot for supersedure cells. I fear you may have lost a swarm as they will go as soon as queen cells are sealed.

Queen cells sealed on day 8, so would have been there last weekend if you have sealed cells now. If 4 or 5 that's a lot for supersedure cells. I fear you may have lost a swarm as they will go as soon as queen cells are sealed.

Yeah, this is what I thought. I obviously missed them last week.

Hi HM

For what it's worth, I was in the same situation last week with capped Q cells but queenie was still there.
The point for you is that Q may still be there. Move your brood box aside and let flying bees go back to original site, hopefull Q will be in the original box.

Whilst of writing I had some capped Q cells in another which weren't due to emerge until this coming Wednesday. When I went to the hive to harvest them yesterday morning (13 days) I had 5 of them emerging before my eyes.

In beekeeping anything can happen- don't always go by the books- they're just a rough guide.

I checked my hive 7 days ago and NO queen cells ,but I did see Queen, eggs and larvae. I checked yesterday and there were no eggs, couldn't find queen, and x5 sealed queen cells in centre of frame. They are very close together. Is this supercedure, and should I let the bees sort it out for them selves?

I checked my hive 7 days ago and NO queen cells ,but I did see Queen, eggs and larvae. I checked yesterday and there were no eggs, couldn't find queen, and x5 sealed queen cells in centre of frame. They are very close together. Is this supercedure, and should I let the bees sort it out for them selves?

Sounds like it.

Leave them alone.

Hi HM
When should I check again.? I know that I shouldn't disturb, but I'm not too sure of timings

Back