Queen wasps.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Finding a lot of moribund queen wasps around this spring, usually up under the roofs or in the recesses of the national hives, are many others finding the same?

Finding a lot of moribund queen wasps around this spring, usually up under the roofs or in the recesses of the national hives, are many others finding the same?

Very few around here and none under the polyhive roofs. They can't get in. There'll probably be a lot of them around this year though because the mild winter wont have killed many off

Last edited:
I found one under a roof, it no longer survives sorry. Also found centipedes, small snails and a tiger slug, not all under the same roof lol. Under roofs seems to be a haven for such critters, remind me again why the national has this space ?

There are more queen wasps around here than is usual. Some are moribund but many actively searching for nest sites on the warmer days. One has got into my bee shed somewhere in the stacks of empty boxes - I need to find that one!
Some wasps appear to be licking the sugar off the bamboo in the garden.

Last edited:
Found a few under roof sides. Used to despatch them, now I don't, they deserve a chance. Hold queen wasps with the same respect as queen bumblers.

We saw a queen wasp looking for a new home today in someone's shed.

Usually find them under several roofs in the course of first inspections. Two under one roof, on occasion. This year, only one - already dead unfortunately.

Under roofs seems to be a haven for such critters, remind me again why the national has this space ?

Ventilation don't you know!! it's to make sure that the roaring gale through the feeder holes is maintained. No gaps under mine, I didn't bother with the battens and just have a slab of kingspan filling the whole roof void. Probably why I haven't found a single queen wasp this year :D

Ventilation don't you know!!

No ventilation holes at all in my national roofs, and filled with kingspan, so no through drought if a crown board hole was open, but the wasps are still found under them as they also have four sides, which hang down around the top box, the wasps crawl up under these sides to the top, as they are not a tight fit to the box, this is to enable for easy removal, about a quarter inch gap all round.

Are your roofs just dead flat on top, with no sides, similar to the American style Langstroth top covers?

Same here, it was supping from the gooseberry flowers

Your gooseberry is in flower ??? Mine are barely in leaf yet ... buds nowhere to be seen - you must have a very early variety - I have both green and dessert gooseberries and all at the same stage ... very envious !!

By the by .. only one wasp seen so far this year .. it came into the kitchen on Wednesday and then left (voluntarily !). It was a big queen wasp flying really well - hope she does not find the hole in my house eaves cladding I need to sort out where it's rotted away on the corner ...lousy 1980s builders who cut the guttering too short and it's water damage over the last 30 years ... another job to do !!

Your gooseberry is in flower ??? Mine are barely in leaf yet ... buds nowhere to be seen - you must have a very early variety - I have both green and dessert gooseberries and all at the same stage ... very envious !!

Yes, just starting to flower. It's a red gooseberry, lovely :)
Blueberry flowers are attracting some attention and I have heaps of those

Our gooseberry bushes are covered in bumblebees this afternoon. I spotted them when I was hoisting a bait nuc onto the shed roof. Just a bit of fun - I haven't seen any honeybees around.

No ventilation holes at all in my national roofs, and filled with kingspan, so no through drought if a crown board hole was open, but the wasps are still found under them as they also have four sides, which hang down around the top box, the wasps crawl up under these sides to the top, as they are not a tight fit to the box, this is to enable for easy removal, about a quarter inch gap all round.

Are your roofs just dead flat on top, with no sides, similar to the American style Langstroth top covers?

No, most are between 7 and 8 inches deep and like yours filled with kingspan and no silly vents - yet to find a wasp though - plenty of other places for them to hibernate I guess :)

I've seen a few queens around the area, all V vulgaris apart from one beautiful V germanica yesterday. Couldn't get a picture.

Sorry, my ramble re gooseberry was meant to be on topic, I got distracted. Whilst adding some lemon grass oil to my nuc which was on the kitchen table a huge queen wasp flew in the window. Are they attracted to the stuff?

Latest posts

Back