Queen Theft Ceredigion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike101

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This was dropped by whoever stole a Queen from one of my hives in the last three days, (they would have taken more but she was the only marked one).Dyfed Powys police would like to talk to the owner regarding damage to property, trespass and theft. Beekeepers in the SA48 post code area need to be aware there is a rogue among us.

Attachments

• 20170602_171419.jpg
    20170602_171419.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 141
This was dropped by whoever stole a Queen from one of my hives in the last three days, (they would have taken more but she was the only marked one).Dyfed Powys police would like to talk to the owner regarding damage to property, trespass and theft. Beekeepers in the SA48 post code area need to be aware there is a rogue among us.

Why on earth would they steal a marked Queen? She's no good on her own!

She is if they had a Q- colony :svengo:
True. But if they were that desperate, surely if they had approached Mike, maybe he could have helped out. Whoever it was, is definitely not one of the brotherhood.

Seems rather strange, but possible. What is it that makes you believe the q. was stolen?

Oooo 'eck !!!!
That's me !!
Post code not thief.
They'd get a surprise opening up two of mine.

Because of hard evidence that someone had been in the apiary ie damage to fence, dropped container (pictured above) and evidence that other hives had been disturbed. From the laying pattern she was removed approx. 3 days ago.

Scandalous behaviour Mike, I'd go apeshit if I found this going on, some people simply have no shame.

We know, from past hive thefts, that there is a small minority of beekeepers who have no morals ... isn't it just a reflection of society as a whole ? There's always one rotten apple in the barrel - all the beekeepers I have ever met are honest, helpful, generous to a fault and who would sooner give bees away than have them stolen.

It's a sad state of affairs when your expectations of fellow beekeepers are tarnished by someone who clearly is ammoral... ie: had NO morals rather than immoral - having FEW morals. I am reluctant to call whoever did this a beekeeper .. B ... something and it's not keeper ....

My neighbour has just sent me a text message to say that friends of theirs who live a little further down the road lost a queen last night.

It is quite extraordinary behaviour. Finding a queen in a full hive is often difficult enough, that one is able to do so while under stress, in daylight and avoid detection almost defies belief.

Almost unbelievable. How much are queens? Is there a shortage?
Stealing them sounds hardly economic given the time and energy needed. It makes me wonder if it isn't as much for the hell of it, and for the damage done to others, horrible as that sounds.

I lost a couple yesterday as well.

Now, that's just careless!!!!
But all is not lost. I'm sure they have found good homes

But back to the thefts.
I seem to remember somebody "losing" queens in a similar fashion on Anglesey and it caused much mirth here.
I find it unbelievable that anybody would go to that much bother.
My neighbour's neighbour's hives are by the road and in sight of the house.
Rather than going though a whole box it seems easier to just take the whole lot, unless you are making your getaway on a bicycle

I find it unbelievable that anybody would go to that much bother.
Rather than going though a whole box it seems easier to just take the whole lot, unless you are making your getaway on a bicycle

Yes, quite. That would make more sense - Faster and more financial sense too.

Latest posts

Back