queen substance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
I wasn't really sure where to put this question, I was ask the other day so I'll try here. I gave a talk to a group and one person asked me, if queen substance helps stop the worker's ovaries developing could it be used in birth control in humans and has anyone thought of this. I said I didn't know and would put the question out there to see if anyone could comment.

I am not expert in either field but I would'nt have thought so, as I understand queen substance to be a pheromone rather than a hormone but no doubt you will get some more knowlegable oppinions soon. My advice would be don't rely on it use a prophylactic as well, belt an braces has always been my motto ;)

I am not expert in either field but I would'nt have thought so, as I understand queen substance to be a pheromone rather than a hormone but no doubt you will get some more knowlegable oppinions soon. My advice would be don't rely on it use a prophylactic as well, belt an braces has always been my motto ;)
thanks for your reply, I'm glad I'm too old for birth control problems!!!

Just supposing it did- you're basically talking about stopping girls developing into women, with all the growth and biochemical repurcussions of that. Sounds more like forced sterilization than birth control. I'm worried about population growth, but even I draw the line at that.

If you're looking for a hormonal way to stop the ovaries producing eggs, it's called the pill.

interesting idea - williams (1959) showed that most mammalian tissues contain substances with JH activity - especially thymus (think about that when next eating sweetbreads).

even if there was potential for use in contraception i'm sure our lady members will agree that potential side effects if partners accidentally get a dosing are not worth the hassle (and mess):

"JH stimulates the accessory glands of adult males, promoting gland growth and the production of accessory gland secretion."

Back