Queen sellers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hivemaker sells queens or PM me
kev

Buckfast queen???

I have got my first nuc this year from a man that always supplys to the students of the preliminary course here in Northern Ireland. His bees however have been proven to be very very swarmy. I was thinking of requeening with a buckfast queen does anybody know where i could get one??

queens

honeybeesuppliers sells queens (buckfast) at least thats what he said on our taster course, showed us some too.

Why not find and join the Irish group on Yahoo and see if you can get a local queen from there? Just a thought.

Link sent by PM.

PH

Last edited:
Thanks PH, I'll have a look into that, I "SHOULD" be ok this year if the other people are to be believed, its next year that the fun will start. One girl lives on Rathlin island off the north west coast. she got 2 nucs in 2008 and is now up to 14 hives!!!!!!. they just keep swarming and then the swarms swarm.

>and is now up to 14 hives!!!!!!. they just keep swarming and then the swarms.

THATS BUCKFAST FOR YOU

Carnies are not that swarmy. Not the ones I had at least. They just wanted sex, once a year like some ladies do.. Then settled down nicely.

PH

Gareth, it is also to do with beekeeping style. I know the person you mean on Rathlin. She was away from the island a lot and as a result weekly swarm control was not getting done I would imagine. If you dont inspect your hives during the swarming season you will lose a swarm whatever your strain of bee. I have dark AMM bees. Never had a swarm or lost a swarm in the 3 yrs I have had my bees. I do weekly inspections and artificial swarm when the need arises which remedies the problem. However I would not be recommending bringing in imports especially not buckfasts. Ask others in our association as some over here have tried some years back them then rapidly changed back. AMM is your best bet for climate over here. Someone from our association would probably help you out with a queen from good stock if you could not get a Galtee Queen. Most problems with temper and excessive swarming tendancy has been caused by the importing of other strains of bees whose drones then mate with our AMM virgins. As a DARD man you will know the benefits of home grown queens. Its keeps the diseases away and our Bee Inspectors happy.

Last edited:
However I would not be recommending bringing in imports especially not buckfasts.

Buckfast bees are bred in Ireland - you don't need to import them.

Most problems with temper and excessive swarming tendancy has been caused by the importing of other strains of bees whose drones then mate with our AMM virgins. As a DARD man you will know the benefits of home grown queens. Its keeps the diseases away and our Bee Inspectors happy.

While it's true problems with temper and swarming is quite common with AMM crosses, and is a good reason for everyone in your area to have the same type of bee, it's not keeping the diseases away.
I saw some AMM stock in Ireland last week with EFB.

Stopping any imports might keep new diseases away if that's what you mean.

Demonstrating EFB?

Or (how embarrassing) demonstration hives that happened to have EFB?

PH

Gareth, it is also to do with beekeeping style. I know the person you mean on Rathlin. She was away from the island a lot and as a result weekly swarm control was not getting done I would imagine. If you dont inspect your hives during the swarming season you will lose a swarm whatever your strain of bee. I have dark AMM bees. Never had a swarm or lost a swarm in the 3 yrs I have had my bees. I do weekly inspections and artificial swarm when the need arises which remedies the problem. However I would not be recommending bringing in imports especially not buckfasts. Ask others in our association as some over here have tried some years back them then rapidly changed back. AMM is your best bet for climate over here. Someone from our association would probably help you out with a queen from good stock if you could not get a Galtee Queen. Most problems with temper and excessive swarming tendancy has been caused by the importing of other strains of bees whose drones then mate with our AMM virgins. As a DARD man you will know the benefits of home grown queens. Its keeps the diseases away and our Bee Inspectors happy.

:iagree: I would love to have AMM bees, but here everyone just about has anything and everything so no chance of keeping them pure (without AI) even if I could get some. We do have a small group in Cornwall who are working to get back to as close to AMM as pos tho:.)
I suggest while you've got local bees, work to keep them:.) and keep out the imports.

Demonstrating EFB?

Or (how embarrassing) demonstration hives that happened to have EFB?

They were only discovered to have EFB when a bee inspector at the conference happened to have a look.

Caused problems for the queen rearing/grafting workshops because there was very little brood available.

Back