Queen rearing method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I would like to have a go at queen rearing this season. I liked the look of Queen rearing simplified by Vince Cook & bought the book. Since then I have come across the Cloake board for use in rearing queens. Using the Cloake board seems an ideal way, no need to move brood boxes around, simples!

What methods do the experts out there use?

Thanks.

personaly we all have our own meathods and our own ways, mine is based on the David Woodward book, it works for me so I wont change. It just depends on what you find comfortable, a very good system done badly does not work, but a bad system done very well, will,

If you have never tried breeding before, here is a few simple ideas.
decide on a hive and this will be the breeder hive, so all mistakes will only affect your one hive not all five.
read every thing you can about your choosen method, many people only read say one book or write up on the internet , when if they had read several others they would have found someone elses problems and solutions, which always help you out.
and lastly the great piece of advice is to keep it simple some of the "older" meathods were so complicated and tortuous that you realy dont stand a chance

Thanks Pete. I agree some of the old methods are very complicated & put me off from the start.

Cloake board ??

Queen rearing main poit is to find a good mother queen.

To simplifye something what you have not earlier done, it is odd start.

The most simple is to change larvae in swarm cells. That is what I use.

Cloake board ??

Queen rearing main poit is to find a good mother queen.

To simplifye something what you have not earlier done, it is odd start.

The most simple is to change larvae in swarm cells. That is what I use.

I didn't simplify it, Vince Cook did!!!

Latest posts

Back