Queen rearing from a defensive queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Out of my 4 hives (all wooden), the 14x12 hive is going great guns on around 7 frames of brood mainly sealed so very strong. This hive is out flying in all conditions and always out 1 or 2 hours before the rest. They have 1/2 filled a super in a week also....
the only draw back is they are a little defensive when inspecting with allot around the veil.
Is it worth rearing some queens from this hive? I know the temperament comes from both the queens and the drones but will I be lucky to get some decent queens from her even tho she is defensive?

I don't think being defensive is a negative trait, being aggressive is however.

If their behaviour causes any sort of concern then for me they are not breeding stock quality.

Buy in a good queen asses for a season then breed from her.

PH

All you need is to raise a queen from your defensive hive, her to mate with a series of drones from defensive hives, and then you have bees from hell..

And your beekeeping neighbours raising queens which mate with your drones have the same problems...

But if you want to make the local gene pool more bad tempered, then you are going the right way about it...

(I know what I think of beekeepers who keep bad bees and don't cull the queens but for the sake of harmony )

Bees are not aggressive, they are defensive, some more than others.

Good point but we would see defensive for no reason other than proximity to hive as being aggressive whereas defensive when the hive is touched is acceptable to some extent!
E

The only time I would consider such bees would be if an apiary site is potentially at risk to vandalism or hive rustling!!

I would not raise a new Q from such a hive.
I would make a Q right split from the hive and move to a new position.
The original colony will make Q cells.
When the Q cells are a few days old, destroy them and give the hive a frame of eggs from one of your other hives.
Q cells on this frame would be used to make a new Q.
When you have a new Q, the Q in the split can be culled.

The bees in the split can be used to boost a needy colony.

I have a very similar hive at the moment, it’s collects abundant pollen I mean to the extent good say 2-3 solid frames. Been monitoring it and regularly see it flying at low temperatures when ever other hive has no activity.
Approaching the hive they are no issue really but once you start pulling the brood nest apart they are very defensive.

I would not raise a new Q from such a hive.
I would make a Q right split from the hive and move to a new position.
The original colony will make Q cells.
When the Q cells are a few days old, destroy them and give the hive a frame of eggs from one of your other hives.
Q cells on this frame would be used to make a new Q.
When you have a new Q, the Q in the split can be culled.

The bees in the split can be used to boost a needy colony.

Have you calculated how much time all this takes from summer and what you get from that? If you buy a queen, it lays during that time and the colony grows.

Queen right split stops build up, because it looses foragers. At least you do not get honey yield from that system. That is the price of own queen.

it’s collects abundant pollen I mean to the extent good say 2-3 solid frames. .

Worth bearing in mind that big pollen collection means poor honey gathering ability (and vice versa).
Unless you are collecting pollen.

I do not plan on breeding from this one anyway, I can put up with the defensiveness that doesn’t phase me I just leave them to check last. This colony have a bigger issue for me they’re like the flash on the frames and cluster on bottom of frames which I really hate.

Latest posts

Back