Queen rearing - books

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Looking for some winter reading and I'm trying to get more hands on with the queen rearing programme we have down here in Cornwall.

Can anyone suggest any informative and well presented books on queen rearing and the general breeding of bees?

I already have BIBBA's 'Breeding better bees'.

Thanks,

Mark.

John H Atkinson.........Background to bee breeding.

Hi,

Larry Connors 'Essential' series: Queen Rearing; Increase; Bee Sex

All three are well worth having -best books on the subject at the moment in my oppinion.

Best,
Roland

I am a new beekeeper (this year) but want to start queen rearing next year (2011). I have just read Tim Rowe's "The Rose Hive Method" book. It is not about queen rearing but does have 3 or 4 pages that discuss how he rears queens. I found it wetted my appetite. I am not sure if this would come up the catagory of "informative and well presented" but I thought it was worth a mention.

Queen Bee: Biology, Rearing and Breeding
by David Woodward

Queen rearing symplified, by Vince Cook

Breeding super bees, by Steve Taber

and a second for Atkinson's book

I would endorse the Vince Cook book, easy to read and well explained. It is not the only way to rear queens of course but is a good method to try first.

I would also recomend the IWF video while it is still available.
http://www.iwf.de/iwf/do/mkat/details.aspx?Signatur=C+1801

I haven't tried the first method they describe but it looks effective. It has some simliarities to the Vince Cook method but involves putting two brood boxes of bees into one box to get the cells started.

All of the above books are good but my special vote has to go to the essential series.
Best regards
Norton.

I'm just reading Ron Brown's Beekeeping- a seasonal guide. Doesn't go into breeding, but quite a detailed section on raising queens.

Back