Queen raising day in Kent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfwhitewizard

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Admin,

As promised the photos of todays Grafting day with a few fellow beeks from the forum.

A really enjoyable day and something I and Widdershins will repeat for next year for anyone interested.

Gandalf and Widdershins.

Top photo, from left to right..JC Brum, Allotmentpete, Graham, Polyanwood.

Frisbee has kindly put a photo of the day under queen raising thread for the remainder of the beeks not included in this one.

Great pics Gandalf, a really, really good day.

I am sure that the secret of bee-grafting 'Wizardry' is pete's bench and the 'prayer position' while grafting. ;)

You did a great job for us. :)

JC.

was it advertised?

If it had been, everyone would have spent ten minutes at the Thorne sale and then descended in droves!

Regards, RAB

Good to meet you all yesterday, I had a great day, and I am glad facilities were ok, but next time i will make sure we have cushions and biscuits. :)

We just need to find out now what the marks out of 5 with the Queens are.

AP

I did my last grafting in the greenhouse - as suggested by someone on this forum. It would have been fine but at the crucial moment I discovered I am long overdue a visit to the opticians. Did the grafting at arm's length as that was the only way I could see anything. Much closer and it was all a blur.

I need some of those magnifying specs!

Rooftops - speak to JC about those, he has a varied selection (...along with sandwiches and pork pies!!!)

Allotment Pete ! welcome, I thought you were going to bee "PolyTunnel Pete" like your avatar ? ;)

Here's a link RoofTops -

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/6/0/1092.aspx

The £20 ones are fine for bees I think.

But they don't sell the sandwiches or pork pies, that's a 'Brummie' thing, in spite of those pretenders in Melton Mowbray.

Mind you, Polyanwood did say she liked my 'nibbles' - whatever they are ? - must be a 'south of the river thing' ;)

Last edited:
I noticed that the Chinese grafting tool was used and another type.

I use a pipette with rubber stopper so I can apply light suction to the larvae for transfer.

Thought it might help others that find it a problem using grafting tools.

Regards;

I noticed that the Chinese grafting tool was used and another type.

I use a pipette with rubber stopper so I can apply light suction to the larvae for transfer.

Thought it might help others that find it a problem using grafting tools.

Regards;

Thanks Bcrazy. I think it's a job which needs to be investigated further and some things suit different people.

Frisbee

Could have been the pies, .... but I felt 'ham fisted' whatever I tried ....

I shall practice more .

JC.

Thanks, JC. I couldn't find an Allotment piccy and after the banter bout me tunnel I thought that was as good as anything. Truth be told i just wanted to register and look at the photos.

AP

Allotment Pete. So be it. Well now you're on board we'll expect regular reports of your bees and pics as well.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to master grafting without making a replica of your bench !

JC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back