Queen Present no brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaflash

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
HI, Went through my hives for the first time this year. Three were fine, but the fourth had a reasonable quantity of bees, a marked queen, plenty of stores left over from the winter, but no brood, and as far as I can see no eggs!
My thoughts are to remove the existing queen, and introduce a frame of eggs etc. from another hive. Any other ideas??

First of all can you update your profile to show your location as UK covers Cornwall to Shetland. There's a massive variation in conditions there. :)

By the time she becomes a queen, flies and mates there will be virtually no bees left. Either unite and take the hit or look for a mated queen. Myself I would unite.

PH

Same as what PH advised (i was in the same situation as you last year), mated queen or unite.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

I've got the same problem..... they seemed to overwinter well but the queen just seems to be wondering around but not laying! I'm surprised they have not tried to supercede!

Edit........Doh! Not thinking.....Just realised they need eggs to supercede!

I'm now surprised I don't have laying workers.

Last edited:
I've got the same problem..... they seemed to overwinter well but the queen just seems to be wondering around but not laying! I'm surprised they have not tried to supercede!

Edit........Doh! Not thinking.....Just realised they need eggs to supercede!

I'm now surprised I don't have laying workers.

You only get serious laying workers when there is no queen present.
Squish her/unite/throw out.
All you have left is old winter bees , not much longer for this world.

When was this marked queen introduced...?... and has she ever produced?
Are the other hives doing foraging?

Bill

My thoughts are to remove the existing queen, and introduce a frame of eggs etc. from another hive. Any other ideas??

What are you trying to achieve? Are you introducing a frame of eggs to see if they raise a queen cell? If you've disposed of the queen - they're almost certain to, so it's not much of a test.

If they try to raise a queen, then as PolyHive says - the colony will likely wither and die before the new queen can become effective.

Seems you may just as well jump to the unite part, and save some time?

When was this marked queen introduced...?... and has she ever produced?
Are the other hives doing foraging?

Bill

Read the OP/. First inspection of the year, so what is the liklihood of the queen not being there at least over the winter?

I would think that all colonies have brood by this time of the season.

Two options: leave and hope - not a lot of hope, I would suggest - or get rid of the queen. Clearly once the queen is gone there is the problem of the colony going forward.

Now options re the queen:
Adding eggs would require a couple of weeks and likely result in a scrubby queen unless the beek reduces the number of queen cells (the first will definitely be emergency cells). There is also the problem of that new queen getting mated - a lottery in the UK in early May - so she could be only poorly mated or not at all, resulting in more forward-going problems!

Adding a sealed queen cell is an option which might shorten that period by a few days, but the same future possibility as above. More old bees remaining, but still a long time before new brood emerges, so a poor outlook for a decent crop.

Adding a virgin queen has the same sort of issues.

Introducing a laying queen (at some cost?) can lead to loss of that queen (beek doesn’t seem too experienced) and another three weeks or more before any new brood emerges, so the colony will be quite weak by then.

Those options would lead me (without hesitation, btw) to uniting or shaking out. The colony, IMO, is currently a dead loss and unlikely to be worth trying to save. Better to use the current bees (as long as not diseased) to bolster another colony possibly leading to an early split (when queen mating is more predictable) from a strong colony.

Simple, really when you think about the option time lines.

Firstly,this is not a reply for anything but hobby beekeepers but a pragmatic one.

You can prolong the colony life AND get a queen mated if:
you introduce a frame of nearly emerging brood and some eggs and squish the queen.
The emerging brood will strengthen the colony and the eggs form the basis for raising a queen. Inevitably she will be small -a "scrub" queen as above - but she MAY get mated and keep the colony going. If so , you can always requeen at a later date.

Or she won't and you can always try again. Or give them up and shake the bees out..

I would do the above - costs little and has a chance of success. (and it is fascinating to observe survival despite the odds)

Been there, succeeded.(doing it now)

Last edited:
Read the OP/. First inspection of the year, so what is the liklihood of the queen not being there at least over the winter?

From the OP...

Queen is marked, and so present. From the information given, we don't know when she was introduced (Could have been a late summer unite), but it makes no difference to the outcome.

She isn't laying now, when she should be. Some action should be taken.
Squashing a queen with no plan for replacement can lead to grumpy bees.

Unite would appear to be the best option.

Read the OP/. First inspection of the year, so what
is the liklihood of the queen not being there at least over the winter?

[edit]
(beek doesn’t seem too experienced)
[edit]

Precisely, and why - having read the OP - to conclude asking was way
safer than assuming to leap to all the usual options.
Fella probably won't post again... skeered off newbie.

For all we (royal) know from what is posted that queen could have been
installed in July2018, laid up some (poorly) to get to wintering and now
coming through that is taking her own sweet time to do the bees bidding.
Or there could just be poor genetics all round in being lazy bludgers.
Either way more info is needed before defining a path forward, if there is
one.

Bill

Either way more info is needed before defining a path forward, if there is
one.

Not really. Queen had clearly been present for some considerable time and is not laying now. No more info needed, I would suggest. I didn’t need any.

A simple choice of carry on with a non-laying queen or replace her in some way. Workers on their own are doomed. Nothing more simple than that. Why try to complicate things KISS principle works.

Latest posts

Back