Queen on the landing board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

RARW 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi,

Just had a check on activity today during a break from work and spotted one of my queens on the landing board surrounded by 8 or so attendants. I watched for a while, she seemed lathargic and the the attendants seemed to be grooming her. I checked back 45 mins later and they were all still there. All other activity seems normal. Last inspection was 4 days ago and all seemed well with evidence of BIAS, she is a relatively new queen from early May but had seemed to be performing ok.
Any ideas what might be going on?
Wondering if i should pop her back in?
1624371672718.png

Boston Bees 

Bumblebee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20
I had this once. Attempting to push her back in the entrance resulted in workers appearing to attack her.

I would cage her, if possible. Then inspect fully to see what is what, just in case something weird has happened.

If the colony looks completely normal, no QCs etc, just missing a queen, then you could put her in a cage on the top of the frames and see what they do?

RARW 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I had this once. Attempting to push her back in the entrance resulted in workers appearing to attack her.

I would cage her, if possible. Then inspect fully to see what is what, just in case something weird has happened.

If the colony looks completely normal, no QCs etc, just missing a queen, then you could put her in a cage on the top of the frames and see what they do?
Thats exactly what I ended up doing. Caged her with a few attendants and put her between 2 frames. They werent agressive towards her at all. I have a feeling she may be injured. I'll check back agian in a few days but i suspect they may be replacing her.

Boston Bees 

Bumblebee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20
Thats exactly what I ended up doing. Caged her with a few attendants and put her between 2 frames. They werent agressive towards her at all. I have a feeling she may be injured. I'll check back agian in a few days but i suspect they may be replacing her.
I suspect you are right. When it happened to me the queen could barely walk - I am not sure if the workers had attempted to kill her in the hive before she somehow got away, or if she had been damaged during an inspection, or had simply become ill for some reason.

Monkey 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I had this a few days ago, from a hive that had previously swarmed. She was being mobbed, but they didn't seem to be harming her. There were drones landing at the time. I wondered if it was the new queen returning from a mating flight, although that was just a theory. Eventually, they all went in to the hive and calm was restored.

RARW 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I had this a few days ago, from a hive that had previously swarmed. She was being mobbed, but they didn't seem to be harming her. There were drones landing at the time. I wondered if it was the new queen returning from a mating flight, although that was just a theory. Eventually, they all went in to the hive and calm was restored.
I intially wondered if she had been out for an additional mating flight too but it didnt feel right, no drones around and not the usual number of workers. Sadly I think she is injured, annoying as I have endless Queen issues this year in 2 colonies and things had finally settled down!

Boston Bees 

Bumblebee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20
I intially wondered if she had been out for an additional mating flight too but it didnt feel right, no drones around and not the usual number of workers. Sadly I think she is injured, annoying as I have endless Queen issues this year in 2 colonies and things had finally settled down!
The queen I had, which sounded in an identical condition, was found dead on the apiary floor a few hours later. So I suspect she is on her way out, or indeed is already out! Fun and games with bees ....

Hux70 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I inspected a colony on Tuesday. All good apart from the start of a QC with royal jelly which I left. Wednesday I decided I should have removed the cup so went in quickly and found the Q dead on the OMF with no wings!!

F.F.Stung 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I inspected a colony on Tuesday. All good apart from the start of a QC with royal jelly which I left. Wednesday I decided I should have removed the cup so went in quickly and found the Q dead on the OMF with no wings!!
Let that be a lesson to me, and possibly to others. I may have removed the QC (oops) before deciding to check for queen and brood condition

Hebeegeebee 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 on a good day, often more..
Had a similar thing last year - the queen was on the leg of the hive stand at about 8 pm with a few attendants. I assumed that the colony had swarmed (She was clipped and marked) so put her in a cage and into a queenless nuc to look after her. The next day I went through the double brood hive with very little space to lay and there were no queencells so I put her back in. She continued to lay after that. She is still heading up a colony this year and is doing fine.