Queen off lay???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FROGDOGDIVER

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My friend recently got his first colony of bees. After a month his queen went off the lay. Basically he noticed no eggs then no larva. I went to look and at that time there was plenty of sealed worker brood but every spare cell was filled with nectar/honey despite there being 2 supers on which they were filling nicely. I got him to remove all sealed frames of nectar/honey and replace with foundation which was all he had. He thought he had killed his queen and told him not to panic...Yet. so I put a test frame in for him. They then sealed this over, refusing to draw any queen cells, so I decided that the queen with all probability should be there but clearly off the lay. I went through his colony tonight and after a very thorough search for his unmarked queen, I found her. She was a newly mated queen this season. There was no eggs visible tonight and she is an A.M.M.

Q - Why has the queen stopped laying and is there anything I can do for him to get her started again as I felt it was too early for her to stop for the winter. Your thoughts are welcomed.

Alan:confused:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back