Queen off lay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a strong colony, queen excellent, and good brood pattern. But they were hell bent on swarming. About 6 queen cells, some good some iffy.
After the second time of going through the hive and seeing the same build up ( removed first time). I removes all but one queen cell (using some in new Nucs to see if new queens will evolve) I then split this strong colony- putting the queen in a new hive with half the colony. leaving the capped queen cell to give a new queen to the old colony.
But this queen has now stopped laying, after being in the hive for a week.
I have introduced a frame of brood, and given a syrup feed to stimulate - any other suggestions or am I just impatient :toetap05:
Heather

This is a bit of a newbee thinking aloud comment, but are you sure they were swarm cells? Could the bees of not be acting preemptively and the cells be supersedure cell?

You "normally" only get 2/3 cells for supercedure. Dont forget if they were going to swarm they will not have fed the queen very much putting her on a diet so she can fly. It may be that she will sort out in a week or so.

Hi Mr Trueman - if they were supercedure then what an ungrateful lot. She has been great - and frames of brood this year.
No, all the queen cells were at the bottom of the frame- and supercedure are usually nearer the top, so I feel sure they were thinking of legging it!
Must just be patient - she is a woman after all - prob has a headache :)

Hi Heather
I had the same experience earlier on when I transferred a whole colony from the ropey old hive I had purchased them in to new quarters.
I reached the point where I believed they were queenless and was seeking advice on this site. There was no brood left and I purchased a new queen. I then found that the old queen following her holiday had decided to lay prolifally once more. Be patient and keep your fingers crossed

Latest posts

Back