Queen mating times

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've heard it said that the time taken for queens to get mated is proportional to the size of the colony; so queens in a mini mating nuc would mate more quickly than those in a standard sized nuc, which in turn would be faster than those in full-sized colonies. Does anyone know whether this has ever been formally documented or studied, and if so, whether the data are available?

Not sure whether it's been 'formally documented' but another study has also shown that the smaller the mating nuc, the queens tend not to mate as well.
That’s interesting; I’d not heard that before. I don’t suppose you know which study or where it was published do you?

In my mating nucs, 4 mini-combs, the queens are laying on day 11 or 12 after giving cell...on average. Any info on standard frame nucs or production hives?
For production colonies in the UK at the moment it's feeling desperately slow, but we've had a cold wet spring. Only this last two weeks has the weather been good enough, and things are starting to get moving...I've had a couple of colonies are onto week 4, so cutting it fine, and six frame nucs, probably three weeks. But again highly weather dependent.

In my mating nucs, 4 mini-combs, the queens are laying on day 11 or 12 after giving cell...on average. Any info on standard frame nucs or production hives?

For production colonies in the UK at the moment it's feeling desperately slow, but we've had a cold wet spring. Only this last two weeks has the weather been good enough, and things are starting to get moving...I've had a couple of colonies are onto week 4, so cutting it fine, and six frame nucs, probably three weeks. But again highly weather dependent.

I put a dozen newly emerged virgins into full-frame Langtroth nucs (Paynes polynucs) on 29th May and I noticed eggs/larvae on the 13th June so I'd say Mike is pretty close, if not spot on. I'm in no hurry to move them on though. I prefer to see a good sealed worker brood pattern so I know she's into her stride (Chris Werner has some interesting things to say about that)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back