Queen mating flight

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
ok, back on something of more value to me.

Anyone know the distance that a queen flies during her multiple mating flight?

Just trying to work out if I can isolate a few hives from 3rd party hives for a few years.

Cheers :cheers2:

Jez

She won't fly to far if someone sprays her with neuro-toxins!

Busy Bee

She won't fly to far if someone sprays her with neuro-toxins!

Busy Bee

useful, thanks

I just said on the other discussion I didn’t want to continue that topic and was taking myself out of it, and yet you follow me around?

prat

The problem is not so much how far the Queen will fly on her mating flights,but the distance drones cover,can be ten miles or more,so you need a very isolated place,or an island,like they use in Germany and other countrys.

As far as I can remember Ruttner says 8km in "Breeding techniques and selection for breeding the honeybee". However this was in conjunction with flooding the mating apiary with desirable drones.

The problem is not so much how far the Queen will fly on her mating flights,but the distance drones cover,can be ten miles or more,so you need a very isolated place,or an island,like they use in Germany and other countrys.

Yep, I did think a little on that one, there are locations locally that I can get a 4-5 mile clear radius but not much more - 10 miles! do drones just wonder around on the off chance of finding a hive? lol

Jez

If they are any thing like us males they will travel if there is a good chance lol :cheers2:

They do go into any hive they please,but tend to go to drone congregation area's when flying in nice weather,the virgins find these.

As far as I can remember Ruttner says 8km in "Breeding techniques and selection for breeding the honeybee". However this was in conjunction with flooding the mating apiary with desirable drones.

I would think the odds become pretty good even if your are 2-3 miles clear, why would a queen fly futher if there are plenty of drones locally? maybe its just not that simple.

They do go into any hive they please,but tend to go to drone congregation area's when flying in nice weather,the virgins find these.

Thanks, I guess all breading attempts have this problem then, just a case of reducing the percentages.

Latest posts

Back