Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Apiarisnt 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Having mislaid my white pen I went looking on Fleabay for a replacement and found this, only £2.50 including postage from China:

Bee marked down.jpg

It raises several questions:
  • Do the manufacturers employ people with very small hands?
  • Do they try out their products on very big bees?
  • Do Chinese giant bees not mind having their abdomen daubed?
  • What year is purple? The year of the bee?

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Bloody hell - if that bee came towards me I'd want to be armed with a 12 bore - it would have a sting the size of a hyperdermic needle !!!

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 25 that I maintain for clients.
I bought one from china and it was pretty useless as it didn't last and was very watery. (One red queen looked like she'd been butchered!)
I would recommend a Toma pen, very quick drying and doesn't wear off like the Posca ones. The extra £1.19 well worth it IMO.

holmbee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I have started using Toma pens. Seem to be longer lasting than Posca ones. IMO. A great bright blue for last year too.
Michael

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
Oops:laughing-smiley-004
I bought one from china and it was pretty useless as it didn't last and was very watery. (One red queen looked like she'd been butchered!)
I would recommend a Toma pen, very quick drying and doesn't wear off like the Posca ones. The extra £1.19 well worth it IMO.
I'm getting on really well with mine Neil I agree, what's the best way to store them stood up with the nib facing the sealing?

Last edited:

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I order a single toma a week or so ago after you mentioned them. The nib maybe little larger but the fluorescent green is nice. There’s now the complete set ordered so expect to see some more special paint jobs. Anyone tried to take the nibs to more of a point without ruining them?

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
On a recommendation here I bought one. Definitely better than the posca pens. I have a couple in my queen box. Fluorescent pink and green.

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Are you talking about the Oil-Based Paint Marker pens, or is there a water based alternative ??

elainemary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
I have started using Toma pens. Seem to be longer lasting than Posca ones. IMO. A great bright blue for last year too.
Michael
Thanks for the tip. My Posca blue pen is dark navy and a lot harder to spot black Qs.
My first ever Nuc had a white marked Q , looking forward to using my new white pen. Feels I’ve come full circle, not quite in the learning department, think I’ll need a couple more cycles to feel in control🤔.

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 25 that I maintain for clients.
Are you talking about the Oil-Based Paint Marker pens, or is there a water based alternative ??
Toma are oil based, hence the reason they wear better.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
My Posca blue pen is dark navy and a lot harder to spot black Qs.
I suppose it depends whether you just go on fleabay to get them (My blue Posca is a nice light vibrant blue which is easy to spot) or get the regulation BBKA shade probably sold by bee equipment suppliers.

ericbeaumont 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
😂now you tell me
I started with the 4mm and found it a bit fat, so dug around on eBay.

There's a second Toma fine nib but they don't make a white. It's 2.5mm and looks pointy enough, which is what's needed.

I'll road-test both and let you know.

Beebe 

Slave to the bees
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
3 + a few more
Those Toma pens are rubbish....it only look me three days of regular scrubbing to get half a dozen test dots off my hand. :)

Latest posts