Queen marking pens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatshark

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Very pleased to successfully mark a queen for the first time three weeks ago. Less pleased that the paint has now almost completely disappeared. I used one of the Thorne's marking pens (in white as I'm coloured blind). I've read that some people use Humbrol. Is this a bit more hard wearing? I assume it's the acrylic and not the enamel paint.

I've got half a dozen more to mark in the next fortnight and don't want to have to repeat it every month.

What do you use?

--
fatshark

Tippex......generally lasts at least a year.

But I did notice in another bee supply catalogue, their queen marking pens were Zig posterman chalk markers....aka, the writing you see on a blackboard outside pubs and the likes advertising the menu. They would be available (at less cost) from stationary/artist shops.

Frisbee

Oh dear, I've just bought a Thorne's pen in anticipation of a bit of marking. The omens are good - I listened to the "queenless" hives this evening and hear clear piping and (I think) quacking, so the various queens are probably slaughtering the un-hatched as I write this.

Latest posts

Back