Queen Marking Pen Set

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A certain well known supplier is charging £3.99 EACH - mmmmmmmm

I'm sure I've lost one, maybe two queens this year using these pens.

I left plenty of time for them to dry too. What is strange is that I never had a problem with them last year!

m100
Did you handle one queen straight after the other with bare hands, we had this scenario a few years ago in our queen rearing apiary, and after some thought we realised that one queens pheremone had been transfered from our hands to the next so when she was run back to her bees they killed her, thought she was an invader, just a thought
kev

No, they were a few weeks apart, no handling just insertion into a plunger cage for one and crown of thorns cage for the other. The first one was an artificial swarm on a hive that was building up quite slowly but one that I'd only left 7 frames in (it was a September artificial swarm last year after I was forced into feeding early due to a shortage of large feeders after being pissed about by an equipment supplier and with an impending holiday)

The bees are a delight to handle, maybe the first bees I'd feel confident about handling without any gloves. Very calm on the comb and I really wish they had built up better.

I moved the brood and QC's into a nuc, marked the queen, left her on the roof of a nearby hive while the paint dried and then a couple of mins later let her out onto a drawn frame with a small patch of brood. She wasn't running and the workers appeared to accept her ok. I closed up and went into the workshop to make up a few frames. Went back into the original hive and she was nowhere in sight, so she was marked for all of 15 mins. In that time I reckon the queen was balled and carried away. She wasn't out the front of the hive and nowhere inside. No eggs a week later, no queen cells either. Just like the workers said sod it, we wanted to swarm, but you took our brood away and now we want to destroy this colony just to spite you!

i to lost a queen after marking it with pen used a marking cage and left her to dry under a lamp for a few mins put her back in the hive after a week had a look no queen or eggs, it never swarmed it was a weak nuc just building up so they must of killed her

i to lost a queen after marking it with pen used a marking cage and left her to dry under a lamp for a few mins put her back in the hive after a week had a look no queen or eggs, it never swarmed it was a weak nuc just building up so they must of killed her

i just use a press in queen cage on the frame she on ..ten seconds and she is free

This all sounds very scarey.
I was considering marking my new Queens
However I dont feel so confident now.
Maybe I should just keep practicing on the drones for now!

I'm sure I've lost one, maybe two queens this year using these pens.

I left plenty of time for them to dry too. What is strange is that I never had a problem with them last year!

Different colour ,different chemical dye involved perhaps ???

John Wilkinson

Used one of the POSCA pens I bought over the Winter to mark my Queens at the weekend.

I was suprised how much easier it was to apply than the marking paint I've use previously.

where did you find this johna? just looked on amazon and can see it??

That post was from July 2010. The price/supplier changes as stock comes and goes, but currently at [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001QLIGGM"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001QLIGGM[/ame] £10.84 + delivery from Glosupplies.

Last edited:
I have just bought them at this price Qty Item Price Delivery Subtotal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.co.uk items (Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.):

1 uni Posca PC5M Marker Medi... £9.18 1 £9.18

Dispatched via Royal Mail (estimated arrival date: April 08, 2011).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: £7.65
Delivery and handling: £0.00
VAT: £1.53

Total: £9.18

This completes your order.
Milk look down the page to MORE BUYING CHOICES look for price £9.18

Last edited:
I ordered some of these last week and they had a delivery time of 2 to 5 weeks, but then got an email on Firday to say they had been dispatched early. :coolgleamA:

Got all mine for £1.99/£1.49 from Trago Mills.
A well known warehouse 'castle' that stocks anything you will ever need in your whole entire life at (usually) very decent prices, here in the SW.

Latest posts

Back