Queen marking - does it really require 3 hands.?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd101k2000

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Today was a good day - spotted the unmarked queens in every hive I looked in! I thought I would mark them. Then the problem:

1) On the first one, got out my queen plunger. Realised that I needed to be particularly dextrous to operate the plunger with one hand, while holding the frame. Three hands would have been better (or a helper). Queen escaped.

2) One the second one, thought I would use my press-in cage. Queen decided to keep sticking her head into empty drone brood comb. Trapped her under the cage, but as there were no cappings for it to grip in the cage fell off. (I also don't like the thought of killing brood to mark the queen.) Queens 2 Bee keeper nil. Queen had rather fetching tiger stripes. (All the others were dark.)

3) Caught queen in a queen clip (really easy by the way). Took plunger out of queen plunger tool and, after working out that she only wanted to go DOWN got her into the cylinder and inserted plunger. Queen only wanted to poke her legs through the cage at first, but after some patience she turned over. Admired her red legs. Successfully marked her. (BTW do you find yourself talking to your bees, urging them on?)

4) Similar to 3), but this queen would only go UP.

So, a successful method. Do you have any better ways? (Yes, I do know that T's have a special one-handed tool. I laughed at it, but I am now thinking that it might be useful.)

Well done for getting two .....
I can never manage without an assistant. He holds the frame for me while I chase the queen.
I have watched beekeepers put the frame down on top of the hive and pick the queen up with their fingers

Place frame on hive stand. (at eye level). (on flat roof of a hive)

Use plastic ** crown of thorns to trap queen.

Press down gently till she is stil.

Mark queen.

Release queen

Place frame back in hive..

All on my own- several times a year for 4 years with no issues..

(I tried holding the queen in my fingers: Try 1 success. Try 2 queen flew away - back into the hive!. No Try 3)

** less likely to spear a worker or worse still the queen.

Place frame on hive stand. (at eye level). (on flat roof of a hive)

Use plastic ** crown of thorns to trap queen.

Press down gently till she is stil.

Mark queen.

Release queen

Place frame back in hive..

All on my own- several times a year for 4 years with no issues..

(I tried holding the queen in my fingers: Try 1 success. Try 2 queen flew away - back into the hive!. No Try 3)

** less likely to spear a worker or worse still the queen.

That always works well for me too. never needed any help. (I use a metal crown from way back when, never speared a bee yet.) Just make sure the pen is ready and you have tried it out prior to marking so you control the splodge size,
Cazza

Crown of thorns (proper job one) have frame flat on top of the hive, place CHT gently over the queen (don't press in yet) - wait a tick or two for them to settle then gently press down. Tried most methods and prefer this one - no chasing the queen around the frame and winding all the bees up, less stress all round either that or pick her up in right hand then place her between thumb, trigger and middle finger - head pointing in the gap between the three - she seems setled in the dark then.

Today was a good day - spotted the unmarked queens in every hive I looked in! I thought I would mark them. Then the problem:

1) On the first one, got out my queen plunger. Realised that I needed to be particularly dextrous to operate the plunger with one hand, while holding the frame. Three hands would have been better (or a helper). Queen escaped.

2) One the second one, thought I would use my press-in cage. Queen decided to keep sticking her head into empty drone brood comb. Trapped her under the cage, but as there were no cappings for it to grip in the cage fell off. (I also don't like the thought of killing brood to mark the queen.) Queens 2 Bee keeper nil. Queen had rather fetching tiger stripes. (All the others were dark.)

3) Caught queen in a queen clip (really easy by the way). Took plunger out of queen plunger tool and, after working out that she only wanted to go DOWN got her into the cylinder and inserted plunger. Queen only wanted to poke her legs through the cage at first, but after some patience she turned over. Admired her red legs. Successfully marked her. (BTW do you find yourself talking to your bees, urging them on?)

4) Similar to 3), but this queen would only go UP.

So, a successful method. Do you have any better ways? (Yes, I do know that T's have a special one-handed tool. I laughed at it, but I am now thinking that it might be useful.)

I usually use a crown of thorns, it is a very good method and can be used one-handed. I have also used the new Korean one-handed queen catcher with ease and success. Unusually, big T were cheapest supplier for them in this country. The turn and mark cages are pretty good too.

Frame into another box is 100% for knowing she is not going to 'escape'(unless she fies off). Just a matter of thinking ahead, as usual.

Pick her off the frame and either mark her in the hand or in a plunger cage - preferably one with a thread mesh rather than a plastic one. Pick her off the comb to transfer to the cage. Practice with the drones first.

You can control the plunger, or at least stop it dropping out, by hooking your little finger around the plunger. That gives you chance to put the frame down or half back in the hive so that you can use two hands to mark her. I still haven't managed to figure out how to hold the cage and mark her with one hand.

I usually put her in the cage even if I mark her in the hand, otherwise I'm hanging around waiting for the paint to dry. I remember putting a queen back too quickly while the paint was still not properly dry and a worker leapt onto her and virtually hoovered the paint off! (You can put the cage on top of the frames and the bees will find her and keep her company til you're ready to release her).

I usually use a crown of thorns, it is a very good method and can be used one-handed. I have also used the new Korean one-handed queen catcher with ease and success. Unusually, big T were cheapest supplier for them in this country. The turn and mark cages are pretty good too.
The Korean one is fab IMHO.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

i managed to mark 3 queens last night was clearly on a role for spotting.
i rest it on a lug at 90 degrees to normal orientation then you can rotate it if she makes a dash to the other side. found resting it flat really pisses them off.

Helpful video

I have found this very helpful. Bit out of focus but I have been doing it that way since last season it so far worked very well. You can do it with surgical gloves as well - just make sure the fingertips are not full of propolis. Good for shook swarms as well, catch her, put her in a queen cage and release her safely afterwards back onto the new frames.

I keep a marking pen and a small pair of very sharp scissors in my top pocket at all times - so no scrambling for gear hoping she stays on the frame etc, just catch her when you see her, mark, clip and release gently once the mark is dry.

Clip: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaHkkQlVbvY"]Marking and Clipping a Queen Bee - YouTube[/ame]

:sunning:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back