queen marking - be aware!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, Just a quick note of warning in this hot weather!
I have the usual queen marking pen- and left it in the sun for a while. Fortunately I tested on some wood before I applied it to her.
Aaaaaaahhhh! I would have killed her and has 600 blue marked bees. The ink flew out and flooded the area. Too hot:ack2:
The pen is in the fridge for 5 mins.
Just thought I would pass this on...

Heather have you had any problem this year with the Blue rubbing off after a couple of weeks ?

I have noticed it on some of mine and have read others making the same comment,I wonder if its a batch problem from Thornes.

Hi, Just a quick note of warning in this hot weather!
I have the usual queen marking pen- and left it in the sun for a while. Fortunately I tested on some wood before I applied it to her.
Aaaaaaahhhh! I would have killed her and has 600 blue marked bees. The ink flew out and flooded the area. Too hot:ack2:
The pen is in the fridge for 5 mins.
Just thought I would pass this on...

I did exactly that yesterday Heather. I picked up the pen to mark the position of a QC on top of a frame. I only wanted a dot but ended up colouring the whole top of the frame blue.

Darren.

Admin,

Yes I have noticed that the blue wears off faster than other colours:(

I had the same thing happen earlier in the year.

One of my hives my suit and trainers still have some blue splats on them.

It would have killed the queen for sure had I not tested first.

Are these incidents which should be referred to Sales at Th*rne? Reimbursement, damaged attire, etc, etc. Sale of faulty goods or items 'not fit for purpose'.

Regards, RAB

,I wonder if its a batch problem from Thornes.

Remeber Thornes do make the Posca paint markers, they are not made as bee marking pens and can be bought for at least £1 per pen cheaper at other places.

I bought Posca pen from local bee supplier - and No, so far the blue is staying on the queen- but early days.

Ha! These days prob queen gone before the blue spot had time to wear out - how I wish Sussex University would spend their cash on researching why queens turning over faster- not on the waggle dance- which they are apparently exploring further!!

Heather have you had any problem this year with the Blue rubbing off after a couple of weeks ?

I have noticed it on some of mine and have read others making the same comment,I wonder if its a batch problem from Thornes.

Not marked mine yet. Got a Sweinty one (I think), but the one queen I bought in to increase my lines has only a blue circle left.

Darren- why dont you use coloured drawing pins to mark where queen cells are- you may end up with a multi dotted load of frames- very confusing after a season!

I usually just scratch a cross with my hive tool but just happened to have my
blue pen in my pocket.

Darren

BLUE!!!! I'm still on yellow, these things never run out :eek:

Leave it on the top of a hive in full sun Enzo and then have a go a queen marking it`ll soon run out then if my blue one is anything to go by, lol.

Darren

I still have a yellow snopake-type thing. Rarely use it. Have to shake it for a day before I can use it! Can't see some of the colours anyway, so not a lot of good to me. Reds, greens, darker blues - might just as well search for an unmarked queen.

Regards, RAB

Having read this thread a while back I paid particular attention to my 3x 2010 marked queens all marked with a blue Posca pen. I would say that it is wearing off quicker, I 'topped' one of them back up.

Thanks who ever posted about the pressure problem, you saved a queen for sure! I dabbed the pen a few times before trying to mark and even though the pen was cool a whole load of excess ink came out. My tool box is now officially marked as a 2010 tool box, as is my right wellington, bee suit and right glove, bl**dy pens!

:banghead:

Thanks for this, I did one of mine yesterday, and remembered to dab it on the side of the brood box before doing the queen - and shot about 10 ml of paint everywhere. It is too runny when hot, putting it in the fridge sounds like a good idea.

Admin,

Yes I have noticed that the blue wears off faster than other colours:(

I have to say I have not had this problem. Blue for me is the better and longer lasting colour. The green I found wears off after a few weeks.

I have to say I have not had this problem. Blue for me is the better and longer lasting colour. The green I found wears off after a few weeks.

Your experience is (I am sure) just as valid as others. That said, what type of marker pen / ink do you use? That may explain the positive difference in performance that you have seen and one we can benefit from.

Back