Queen leaving the hive!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hux70

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
So i've just been sitting infront of my weakest colony watching the few comings and goings when the queen emerged. She walked forward and a worker scrambled on her back for a few seconds then she was off. A few seconds around the entrance then off up to about 10 feet. A few more seconds flying around then dropped back down straight into the hive! All over very quickly and too quick for me to get a photo. Is this normal behaviour for this time of year or did I witness something a bit special.

Although late sounds like an orientation flight of VQ.

I have two strong poly nucs with two brood extensions on each and full of bees.
I watch and learn from them but yesterday and today there are drones going in and out as if it was the middle of the summer.
There's not loads but I reckon one drone to 40 or 50 workers, and easy to pick out with the different tone.
There is no fighting or resistance from the workers at the entrance and there is still loads of pollen going in.
The day temp was 15 today and 17 yesterday, so warmer than usual.
About 5 or 6 weeks ago the workers brought out a bundle of drone pupae and left them on the landing board and I gathered them up to inspect for varroa but found none.
Has anyone seen or had similar experience.
The easiest way to explain it is if it was may, june or july everything would be perfectly normal, but its november!
Thanks

I have two strong poly nucs with two brood extensions on each and full of bees.
I watch and learn from them but yesterday and today there are drones going in and out as if it was the middle of the summer.
There's not loads but I reckon one drone to 40 or 50 workers, and easy to pick out with the different tone.
There is no fighting or resistance from the workers at the entrance and there is still loads of pollen going in.
The day temp was 15 today and 17 yesterday, so warmer than usual.
About 5 or 6 weeks ago the workers brought out a bundle of drone pupae and left them on the landing board and I gathered them up to inspect for varroa but found none.
Has anyone seen or had similar experience.
The easiest way to explain it is if it was may, june or july everything would be perfectly normal, but its november!
Thanks
One of my colonies has drones too. Not many, but they are being allowed in and out by the workers. Like yours, there was a massive clear out of drone pupae a while ago, and a number are still being dropped over the edge of the landing board. I haven’t investigated. I am trusting the bees that they know best! Hopefully all will be ok in the spring.

One of my colonies has drones too. Not many, but they are being allowed in and out by the workers. Like yours, there was a massive clear out of drone pupae a while ago, and a number are still being dropped over the edge of the landing board. I haven’t investigated. I am trusting the bees that they know best! Hopefully all will be ok in the spring.
I always get a few drones allowed through the winter.....bless them :love:

One of the handsome chaps allowed to come and go!

Attachments

• 7DC65AD4-0FEA-4339-8D18-025C257A3FE9.jpeg
    7DC65AD4-0FEA-4339-8D18-025C257A3FE9.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Back