queen is dead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeme

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Just found my new 2 month old queen dead outside the hive. I knew she was gone when i couldn't see any grubs in the frames. The bees are angry. Can I save them with a new Q? Where shiuld I get a new Q and how can I introduce her? Or is it game over for my little colony? My bees recently swarmed and the new Queen seemed to be doing so well only a week ago.

Hi beeme,

By the sound of things i have a feeling you are not sure how to introduce a queen into a QL colony, as you mention it was a 2 month old queen, and also you say how do I introduce the queen.
Queen introduction into a QL hive is not just a case of pop her in and hope for the best. I do believe there have been many points regarding this in previous posts. Before I go into what i would do , have you a queen handy to use in this colony?
Sorry for the questions but its good to know as much of the problem as possible to give a reasonable answer.

Mo

Hi beeme,

By the sound of things i have a feeling you are not sure how to introduce a queen into a QL colony, as you mention it was a 2 month old queen, and also you say how do I introduce the queen.
Queen introduction into a QL hive is not just a case of pop her in and hope for the best. I do believe there have been many points regarding this in previous posts. Before I go into what i would do , have you a queen handy to use in this colony?
Sorry for the questions but its good to know as much of the problem as possible to give a reasonable answer.

Mo

are you a member of London BKA?

what part of Hackney, i have contact with a beekeeper in tottenham, who might help but he is enfield BKA and langstroth are not too common if you need a frame of eggs

Yes not too sure how to introduce new queen, will be first time for me. Obviously have books but real people are better than books. I haven't got a new queen handy so need to find out where to find one quickly. I'm in Hackney by Islington (De Beauvoir Town) It's hard to believe only 3 months ago the colony was really thriving, then the swarm which I couldn't manage to stop and now it's not looking good at all.

Am a member of LBKA so could attempt to make contact with someone via that lot. Also obviously need to read some other previous relevant posts on here.

Am a member of LBKA so could attempt to make contact with someone via that lot. Also obviously need to read some other previous relevant posts on here.

best get someone round, i am a bit far away, though i lived for a time in North Church road by the Pub on corner southgate road

you have two choices eggs on a frame or new qeen b ut too late to explain now

you could also repost on main forum rather than queen required, may get a beeter assist

Just found my new 2 month old queen dead outside the hive. I knew she was gone when i couldn't see any grubs in the frames.

Not many people would of spotted the old queen outside the hive, was the old queen marked? (what colour?)

Two other possible reasons - If she was accidentally killed during an inspection or they could of decided to supersede the original queen if she was failing, the fact you found her outside and no new eggs or larvae inside doesn't mean the colony is doomed. If possible ask an experienced beek to inspect the hive, and by all means try a test frame with eggs and larvae to see if they start queen cells but you could already be in the window of time between loosing the old queen and waiting for her replacement to mate and begin to lay.

We do have some stupid bees around these days. Oh well, perhaps they would have got the equivalent of a 'Darwin award' in the bee world.

Normally, if superceding the old queen may well continue until the new queen starts to lay. Normally if the queen is killed (suddenly?) they build emergency queen cells. Normally, if the queen stops laying for some reason, then the bees may not realise early enough to save the colony, but normally she is still there. Your case must be one of the unusual ones or a case of stupid bees.

That said, if they swarmed recently, they should be a fairly strong colony, as long as they were not encouraged to throw cast after cast.

With your 'little' (rather subjective) colony you need a queen PDQ or wasps may start to 'bother' the colony. Queens are available from a variety of sources - no doubt some advertised in the bee journals or on the internet and some from more local sources (your local BKA would likely have details).

To introduce, follow (to the letter) the instructions you should obtain from your supplier as that may (but probably will not) go some way towards further assistance should things not go to their plan.

Hope this helps.

RAB

Thanks for all the useful ideas. What I really need now is urgently to get a new queen. Please could someone give me a contact where I can get one a little 'pronto'?

Thanks!

Actually what you need to do pronto is to check you do not have a virgin in the colony.

Test frame is required before wasting good money on a queen which is doomed if you have a virgin.

PH

Actually what you need to do pronto is to check you do not have a virgin in the colony.

Test frame is required before wasting good money on a queen which is doomed if you have a virgin.

PH

Yes, there is a case for knowing how to keep bees before actually getting any.

No capped queen cells for well over a month now so I don't expect a virgin to be found.

Thanks again everyone. Have just ordered a new queen from Thornes. Will be delivered tomorrow.

That always makes me laugh, queens being sent in the post. The thought of the poor thing being rocked about lol, suprised they get their in one peice seeing the condition of some of my letters.

Thay are sent in the post aren't they?

Good luck with your new queen, observe how they react to the new caged queen......still trying to work this out...new queen two months ago,queen cells just over a month ago,queen doing well one week ago...now no larvae but dead queen....you broke down all the sealed cells i presume and they never built anymore at all? is this correct?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back