Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi All
Was curious to know what methods or approaches we take ?

For example, its nice and straight forward when you remove an old queen and introduce a new one, 1 in 1 out.

But when you have nucs or brood boxes queenless from splits, that have been so for a number of days, things change, obviously now they are well aware of their predicament and will possibly be expecting the appearance of a "Virgin" in their ranks.

Would any of you, Have any of you, introduced mated queens to queenless colonys as above, whats the longest they have been queenless before you introduced ? are there hints and tips we could all benefit from ?

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
You do realise whole books have been written on this matter alone?

Bees prefer to receive what they are expecting. So yes you are correct with Q for Q or a cell in a nuc. They will usually happily accept a cell if there have been cells in the colony they have been made from.

Virgins to be honest are another matter altogether. I wound not council anyone with less than say ten colonies and or an incubator to play with these girls. It is a different field altogether.

The only time I play with virgin Queens is when making up MIni Nucs for the first time.

PH

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Have you ever successfully introduced a caged mated queen to a colony that has been queenless for some time ?

ladaok 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
You do realise whole books have been written on this matter alone?

Bees prefer to receive what they are expecting. So yes you are correct with Q for Q or a cell in a nuc. They will usually happily accept a cell if there have been cells in the colony they have been made from.

Virgins to be honest are another matter altogether. I wound not council anyone with less than say ten colonies and or an incubator to play with these girls. It is a different field altogether.

The only time I play with virgin Queens is when making up MIni Nucs for the first time.

PH

I'd read the books frankly Grizz

Latest posts